Job Number: 496123 | Vacancy Link
Location: Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Work Type : Consultancy
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Vientiane, Lao PDR is looking for a qualified and experienced National Consultant for WASH Monitoring Engineer for a period of approximately 11 months starting from 1 August 2016 – 30 June, 2017.
Duties and responsibilities:
The objective of the consultancy is to ensure an effective and timely completion of the DFAT supported school latrine construction and water supply systems (WASH Facilities) provision with cost effective and expected quality results in Saravane, Savannakhet and other select provinces. The key tasks and outputs of this consultancy are as follows:
- In consultation with all partners involved in the construction of school latrine and water supply systems, the consultant will provide input/feedback for successful implementation of the DFAT supported project.
- Prepare work plans with timeframe for monitoring of the construction of the school latrines and water supply systems for the selected schools mainly in central and southern provinces.
- In close collaboration with the UNICEF Supply Officer, WASH Officers, provincial Nam Saat and Education Unit, provide guidance in preparation of existing technical specifications for bidding documents, Bill of Quantities and ensure the technical quality of the construction documents.
- Supervise and monitor at different stages the construction of school latrines, water supply systems including boreholes, gravity fed systems and other water sources in respective selected schools to ensure compliance with the design documents, specifications, bill of quantities, construction standards (using a checklist), and timely completion.
- Liaise with the WASH Officers and the Supply Unit for WASH related issues in Vientiane.
- Provide appropriate and timely technical support to the provincial and district line departments for the implementation of projects.
- Provide recommendations and corrective actions in a timely manner of any constraints identified in the implementation process (weekly reports) and properly support the O&M.
- Provide timely and adequate information for progress and donor reports as required.
Qualifications and experience:
- University Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, with 2 years relevant experience in construction monitoring;
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the appropriate tools to construct WASH schemes
- Proven ability to identify potential problems and recommend appropriate solutions manner
- Ability to work productively in a multi-cultural environment
- Good health and willingness to travel and live in locations with difficult conditions.
- Knowledge of English and additional UN language is an asset.
- Have good initiative and ability to apply technical knowledge creatively to ensure conflicts and disputes are resolved between contractors and beneficiaries.
- Current knowledge of the latest developments and technology, in the field.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications, including knowledge of AutoCAD and MIS/GIS applications.
Opening Date 25 May 2016 S.E. Asia Standard Time
Closing Date 10 Jun 2016 S.E. Asia Standard Time