Many of the communities of the Greater Caucasus region of Azerbaijan, especially the mountain communities, are at risk from climate induced flooding and water stress. The people have become resilient to the difficult conditions of the region, but now climate change is exacerbating both problems. Reducing the vulnerability of these communities requires proactive adaptation to the impacts of climate change. The current legislative and policy framework for water management is not sufficiently flexible to address climate change or to modernize water and flood management. Institutional capacity is also insufficient to tackle the problems that the impacts of climate change bring, including: increasing flood frequency, damages and hazards, and decreasing availability of and access to water resources. Communities have not been able to actively participate in water and flood management decision making. This project aims to reduce vulnerability of the mountain communities of the Greater Caucasus region of Azerbaijan to climate change induced water stress and flood hazards by improved water and flood management. This will be accomplished through addressing the management framework at the legislative and policy level, strengthening institutional capacity by introducing new non-structural methods and providing training, and empowering communities to actively participate in water and flood management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Analyst the Project Assistant will perform the following functions:
- Provide assistance in operational management of the project according to the project document and NEX procedures;
- Undertake all preparation work for procurement of office equipment, stationeries and support facilities as required;
- Maintain the inventory file to support purchases of all equipment/assets;
- Provide support in preparing project events, including workshops, meetings (monthly, quarterly and annual), study tours, trainings, etc., as required;
- Take care of project telephone, fax, and email system;
- Assist in preparation of TORS and request packages for contracts for consultants for project activities.
- Prepare quarterly advance requests to get advance funds from UNDP in the format applicable.
- Assist NPD in project monitoring and project budget revision;
- Set up accounting system, including reporting and filling system for the project, in accordance with the project document and the NEX procedure;
- Maintain petty cash transactions. This includes writing of receipts, preparation of payment request form, receipt and disbursement of cash and clearance of advances;
- Ensure Petty Cash to be reviewed and undated ensuring that there is up-to-date records;
- Prepare cheques and withdraw money from the bank;
- Prepare project financial reports for clearance and furnish to UNDP as required;
- Enter financial transactions into the computerized accounting system;
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts and keep a file of all completed reconciliation;
- Check and ensure that all expenditures of project are in accordance with NEX procedures. This includes ensuring receipts to be obtained for all payments;
- Check budget lines to ensure that all transactions are booked to the correct budget lines;
- Ensure documentation relating to payments are duly approved by the NPD;
- Bring any actual or potential problems to the attention of the NPD;
- Follow up bank transfers. Preparing the bank transfer requests, submitting them to the bank and keeping track of the transfer;
- Ensure that bank statements be collected from the banks at the appropriate time;
- Ensure that bank accounts are reconciled and reported in a timely manner;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statement, including computation of interests gained to be included into reports;
- Undertake other relevant matters assigned by the NPM.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of task related to general administration, finance, contract, asset and procurement management
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Excellent written communication skills;
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, social sciences or other area related to the project
- At least 2 years of administrative experience
- Excellent computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package;
- A working knowledge of Azeri and English is required; knowledge of Russian is an advantage.
- Previous experience with UNDP is an advantage.