Albania nationals: National consultant on drafting the data processing manual
The main objective of the 3d Result of the EU Flood Protection Infrastructure Project – FPIP project, is strengthening of the resilience and disaster risk preparedness and prevention in southeast Albania, and in line with the post-disaster needs assessment report prepared by Government of Albania with support from the European Union, the World Bank and the United Nations in Albania following the February 2015 floods.
The overall objective of the Action is to contribute to the Government of Albania post-disaster recovery efforts and the sustainable restoration of community livelihoods in the flood-affected areas, in line with the post-disaster needs assessment – PDNA – report prepared by Government of Albania with support from the European Union, the World Bank and the United Nations in Albania. The intended impact of the Action will be felt across a number of areas, including agriculture, local governance, and livelihoods.
In parallel with tackling immediate needs related to restoration of key flood protection infrastructure to pre-floods levels so as to ensure protection of agricultural land and livelihoods, the project is expected to contribute to improved livelihood situation of the targeted local population and to building local capacities for sustainable economic growth and as such exploiting synergies for other more long-term development interventions. In addition, it will support building national capacities in using an integrated approach to water resources planning, taking into account the potential impacts of climate change, throughout application of the Water Evaluation and Assessment Planning a scenario-based modelling system –WEAP.
Scope of the assignment
A Consultant to draft the manual on data processing required to feed the WEAP model for the Vjosa River catchment area needs to be hired. As a specific processing on hydrometeorological and activity data is required to feed WEAP model, this manual will serve as a methodological guide that can be used as guidance for Water Evaluation and Assessment Planning for the other rivers in Albania. The consultant will prepare a Non-technical Summary in Albanian to be used for awareness increase activities at the local level, based in the all reports drafted to date in the frame of the project. He/she will closely cooperate with the national and will work under the overall supervision and guidance of the V&A Technical Coordinator and Environment Coordinator for the Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Expected Outputs, Deliverables and Timelines
The expected tasks will include, but not only, the following:
- Get familiar with the draft reports prepared on Hydro-ecological Assessment, Cost-Benefit Analysis and Priority Adaptation measures and prepare a Non-technical Summary in Albanian to be used for awareness increase activities at the local level.
- Get familiar with the different raw data sets collected for the Vjosa River catchment, such as river flows (head and streams), land cover, hydro meteorological, water demand and supply (surface and groundwater) for agriculture, population, energy, etc.
- Draft the methodology on:
- Quality control of hydro meteorological series, filling in the data gaps, etc.
- Simulation of temperature and precipitation for different Vjosa sub-basins throughout using QGIS software
- Land use delineation (QGIS software)
- Preparation of water demand data to feed in WEAP
- Processing of financial data to feed in WEAP
- Assist the national team to conduct the participatory approach of local stakeholders/decision makers to assess the proposed assumption/policies, including capacity building and awareness increasing activities related to risks and potential adaptation at the local level.
List of deliverables:
- Non-technical Summary of the technical reports drafted in Albanian (within 30 March 2017)
- Manual on methodology for data processing (within 15 May 2017)
Timeline and implementation arrangements:
The total duration of the assignment will be up to 25 working days over the period from February 1 to May 30, 2017. The consultant will work in close cooperation with the technical coordinator and the international team that develops the hydrological model for the Vjosa catchment area and will report back to the Technical Coordinator of the 3d Results of the project.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Communication - Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly.
- Organizational Awareness - Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Teamwork - Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards.
- Excellent inter-personal and teamwork skills, networking attitude;
- Capacity to deliver as per deadlines;
- Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily;
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in hydrology, environment or other related disciplines;
- 10 years of working experience in the environment area;
- Working experience in different data delineation using GIS software;
- Knowledge of Water Evaluation and Planning (WEAP) tool;
- Demonstrated ability to analytical and drafting work;
- Very good computer skills;
- Team worker with strong communication skills;
- Very good writing skills in the English language.
EVALUATION OF APPLICANTS
- Only those applications which are responsive and compliant will be evaluated;
- Individual consultants will be evaluated based on Combined Scoring method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal;
- Combined weighted scoring: Technical (70%); Financial (30%).
Technical Criteria – 70% of total evaluation – max. 70 points
- 10 years of working experience in the environment area – max. 20 points;
- Working experience in different data delineation using GIS software – max. 20 points;
- Knowledge of Water Evaluation and Planning (WEAP) tool – max. 15 point;
- Demonstrated ability to analytical and drafting work - max. 10 point;
- Writing skills in English – max. 5 points;
Financial Criteria – 30% of total evaluation – max. 30 points.
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability-please fill in the attached form...attached form...
- Filled P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees, please upload the P11 instead of your CV. Download here.
- Financial Proposal in ALL* - specifying a total lump sum in Albanian Lek for the tasks specified in this announcement. The attached template may be used - http://www.un.org.al/editor-files/file/Financial%20Offer%20template.doc. Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant during the contract period (e.g. fee and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services)
- *Kindly note that Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and Financial Proposal are two separate documents and should be both part of your application.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SCs) and Individual Contracts (ICs);
- Merge your UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SCs) and Individual Contracts (ICs), Financial Proposal Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
Due to large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.