1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC : “Supporting ADB’s efforts in the solid waste sector in Nepal.”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Intern would support ADB’s efforts in the solid waste sector in Nepal with analytical work and preparation of field manuals for project municipalities. ADB is the leading donor in Nepal in this sector, and is currently financing the implementation of Integrated Storm Water Management (ISWM) projects in 6 municipalities in Nepal through build and operate contracts, while planning for an additional 4 ISWM subprojects through the upcoming Regional Urban Development Project.
The intern would assess lessons learned thus far in the preparation and implementation of ADB’s ISWM subprojects and recommend areas for improvement to ensure effective and efficient implementation and sustainability. The intern would be required to have knowledge of ISWM systems, and undertake the assessment from social, technical, economic, environmental, institutional and financial angles. The findings could be applied to new subprojects under Regional Urban Development Project, for Board approval in 2017.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 12 weeks
• Timing: June 2017
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Nepal Resident Mission, Kathmandu
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
(i) Knowledge note on lessons learned from ISWM projects in Nepal; and
(ii) Preparation of project preparation manual tailored for the 4 project municipalities of the Far Western Region under the Regional Urban Development Project, with a focus on educational materials, 3Rs (campaign and implementation), integration of informal workers, and community engagement
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Master or PhD candidate in engineering, urban planning, or other relevant field. Coursework in solid waste management is preferred.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Native Nepali speaker is preferred, and at least 5 years of professional experience, including at least 2 years in developing countries.
1. Submit your CV by upload in “Attachments” section in the application; and
2. Answer essay questions below in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. Upload in “Attachments” portion in the application.
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).