Canada nationals: Regional Hydrogeologist
An eligibility list may be established.
Due to present physical distancing requirements related to COVID-19, the recruitment process for this competition may take place virtually.
If this position interests you and you meet the required criteria, we look forward to your application
The Regional Hydrogeologist functions as the primary regional ground water protection expert.
Located on Vancouver Island, Nanaimo has parks such as Neck Point, Piper’s Lagoon and Sealand Park, perfect for camping, hiking and exploring. Mt. Washington, the islands most popular ski hill, has year-round activities such as hiking, mountain biking, snowshoeing and skiing.
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more. Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken as taken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top of four (4) weeks annual leave.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Jessica.Doyle@gov.bc.ca . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
- Degree in a related field (e.g., Engineering, Hydrogeology, Earth Sciences, Geology), or equivalent as accepted by the professional association.
- Registered or immediately eligible* for registration as a fully qualified Professional Engineer or as a Professional Geoscientist with the Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC).
- *Note: Immediately eligible is defined as being registered as a professional Engineer or Geoscientist in another Canadian jurisdiction, and able to transfer that membership to the EGBC within 6 months of employment. It is the responsibility of the applicant to have their qualifications reviewed by the appropriate body to ensure they have the necessary requirements for registration.
- Experience or specialized training in quantitative hydrogeology.
- Experience conducting water investigations, including aquifer and well characterization, testing assessment and monitoring. Preference may be given to this experience in British Columbia.
- Experience developing or using technical solutions, guidelines and/or standards for aquifer characterization.
- Experience formulating and enhancing programs to meet long-term goals and objectives in groundwater management and protection.
- Experience writing technical reports.
Preference may be given to applicants with any of the following:
- Experience supervising staff and/or contractors.
- Experience working collaboratively with Indigenous groups.
- Experience using GIS platforms and/or databases.
- Experience in surface water hydrology.
- Experience leading or coordinating interdisciplinary projects.
- Willing to conduct field work.
- Willing to travel for meetings if required.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Professional Designation: YES - Please include your registration number in your application. You must be registered (or immediately eligible for registration) as a Professional Engineer/Geoscientist with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia (EGBC). Note: immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction. Applicants must confirm their eligibility with the EGBC. Confirmation of registration/eligibility will be required before an offer of employment can be made.
Cover Letter: NO - Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES - Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) - As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical