Sustainability Director (including water stewardship)
The Sustainability Director will work closely with Manufacturing and Procurement functions to develop strategies that enable achievement of such targets as carbon footprint reduction, material reduction, water stewardship, optimal sourcing, etc. They will also utilize resulting Ardagh and industry sustainability achievements to position and communicate the beverage can as ideal sustainable/environmental package to customers, legislators and local communities in support of Ardagh marketing and communications strategies. In addition, this role will serve as sustainability subject matter expert for our division, while also representing the company as needed at industry associations, federal, state and local legislator lobbying, etc.
- Lead creation of Ardagh’s sustainability strategy, teaming with Manufacturing and Procurement leadership to understand and apply realistic objectives across such targets as material, water, energy and natural gas reductions.
- Balance and align strategies with short- and long-term Group sustainability targets, assuring division support of and alignment with Group objectives.
- Strategy to include global sustainability best practice sharing organization and process to assure division locations are applying advancements.
- Create partnerships with key industry and community stakeholders, including non-governmental agencies and thought leaders, to communicate beverage can value and develop recycling strategies that protect and strengthen the beverage can’s position with customers and consumers.
- Direct lobbying to protect beverage can volumes as proposals are created, including arming Ardagh leadership and plant management with messaging to legislators regarding ramifications of policy on jobs, tax revenues, etc.
- Monitor and support customer’s evolving sourcing requirements in terms of sustainability, working closely with Sales and Procurement on responding to requests, assuring alignment with customer requirements.
- Consistently benchmark competitor and customer sustainability efforts to inform and evolve Ardagh Group and division sustainability strategies.
- Serve as sustainability expert for division, representing the company at relevant association events, with customers, local community stakeholder opportunities, etc.
- Serve as primary source of division sustainability achievements, including local plant advancements, innovations, charity efforts, etc., in order to promote internally and externally the inherent sustainability strengths of the beverage can and Ardagh’s commitment to the environment and social responsibility.
- Establish a working environment which promotes the importance of employees acting with integrity and in an ethical manner.
- Ensure the execution of key internal controls within the area of responsibility.
- Demonstrate commitment to the Ardagh core values and policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Environmental Engineering, Marketing or Business with at least 5 years of progressive experience.
- Experience in a B2B manufacturing environment, understanding the differences between B2B and a consumer brand in developing legislation, marketing, media and communications strategies.
- Experience in the packaging industry ideal.
- Understand general working processes of legislation at the federal, state and local levels.
- Background in how organizations align sustainability objectives with the realistic capabilities of the organization.
- Strong project management, policy analysis and stakeholder engagement experience to successfully develop and execute strategies and initiatives.
- Team-oriented, able to build coalitions, working closely with all levels of the organization to translate strategic objectives to actionable plans at local levels.
- Highly effective writing, presentation, public speaking and oral communication skills.
Ardagh Group is a global leader in metal and glass packaging solutions, producing packaging for the world’s leading brands. We trace our roots all the way back to the Irish Glass Bottle Company, founded in 1932. Since then, we have grown rapidly to a team of more than 16,000 people with yearly revenues of approximately $7 billion. Today, we have a presence across Europe and the Americas.
Did you know….
- Ardagh produces many of the beverage cans and bottles you drink your favorite beverages from?
- Metal and glass packaging we produce are permanent materials, meaning they can be infinitely recycled without any loss of quality?
- We produce more than 160 million containers per day across the country?
- Ardagh Metal Beverage North America produces more than 15 billion cans and can ends annually?
- Approximately 75% of aluminum ever produced is still in use today?
- Aluminum cans, with 73%, have the highest recycled content among all beverage containers?
Ardagh is passionate about sustainability and has a reputation for innovation. We push the boundaries of what’s possible, pioneering new production methods, new design techniques and new ways to recycle and save energy. Our aim is to reduce any negative environmental impact while remaining economically sustainable and socially responsible.
Ardagh Group North America has been and will continue to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breast feeding, and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, creed, religion (including religious dress and grooming), color, national origin, ancestry (including association, affiliation, or participation with persons or activities related to national origin, English-proficiency or accent, or immigration status), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, age, veteran or military status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination against any employee or applicant based on any of these factors is prohibited.
For more information on Ardagh Group, visit www.ardaghgroup.com.