Chief Global Programs Officer
Location: This is likely to be fully home based but may include a proportion of time based at our office in North Berwick on the east coast of Scotland.
SALARY: Competitive depending on experience.
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 3rd january 2021
AWS is a global membership-based collaboration that connects organisations dedicated to promoting responsible use of freshwater. Our members include businesses, NGOs and public sector organisations. Members contribute to the sustainability of local water-resources through adoption and promotion of a universal framework for the sustainable use of water – the International Water Stewardship Standard, or AWS Standard – that drives, recognises and rewards good water stewardship.
The AWS Standard provides a globally applicable framework for major water users to understand their water use and impacts, and to work collaboratively and transparently for sustainable water management within a catchment context. The AWS Standard system includes third party certification and a network of accredited professional service providers to support and assess the implementation of the Standard.
The AWS Standard System is overseen by a multi-stakeholder governance structure and fuelled by information from members, partners and a growing number of local water stewardship networks, coordinated by our regional partners and representatives. Knowledge and learning are fundamental to both our ambitions for growth and the integrity of the AWS System. By connecting organisations at the forefront of collaboration on water, AWS facilitates the exchange of knowledge to advance the uptake of water stewardship worldwide.
Although still relatively young, AWS is a rapidly growing organisation. Our highly motivated team is dispersed across several countries. We are now seeking a Chief Global Programs Officer to join our team and play a leadership role in the future growth and impact of the AWS System.
About the role
This is a new role that will play a pivotal role in the growth and impact of the AWS System. Central to the objectives of the role is to ensure strategic coherence as the AWS System grows and attracts increased participation. As Chief Global Programs Officer you will have overall responsibility for country programs and partnerships, and it will be your job to ensure a diverse team is fully aligned to the AWS Global Strategy, helping our work to connect to global drivers and to build strong and diverse local participation.
As part of the AWS Executive Team, this role requires close collaboration across different organizational disciplines in a fast paced and highly interdependent working environment. The role holder will provide oversight and leadership for country and regional representatives and relationships with partners working in-country. In addition, the role holder will lead on developing and managing location-based strategic projects in line pursuit of the goals of the AWS System.
The role includes management of country and regional representatives contracted directly by AWS International.
Who you are and what you’ll do
You’re a seasoned professional in an international setting
- You have extensive leadership experience working in an international setting, either government, private or non-profit sectors, and comfortable working across multiple time zones with diverse stakeholders.
- You will provide leadership and direction for the development and execution of country programs and strategic projects.
- You will oversee relationships with strategic partners, ensuring strategic coherence across the AWS System.
You’re a collaborator
- You are naturally collaborative, a good listener, and able to provide direction to meet diverse priorities.
- You will recognize the high level of interdependencies across our global program and promote coordination and mutual support across the team, local networks, members and partners to grow the AWS System.
- You are an experienced program manager who takes pride in exceeding expectations in delivery.
- You will oversee the design, development and delivery of strategic projects, at all times meeting all legal and contractual requirements.
You’re a communicator
- You are able to communicate a clear and compelling message and unite diverse stakeholders behind a clear goal.
- You will ignite, nurture and oversee relations with a variety of strategic partners
You’re passionate about global sustainability issues
- You have an enthusiasm for social and environmental issues that is demonstrated through knowledge and experience, ideally with substantial knowledge of the diverse social, cultural, environmental and economic issues of water.
- You have a desire to see positive social and environmental impacts from committed enterprises and understand and relate to different cultures and their developmental challenges.
- You will inject this passion into your work and contribute to the promoting a culture of learning, sharing and support in AWS.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Leadership experience in an international business environment or similar.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in complex program management.
- Substantial experience in complex governance and multi-stakeholder environments.
- Strong negotiation and diplomacy skills.
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Solid understanding of approaches to resilience, sustainability and natural resource or environmental management (experience in water management would carry additional weight).
- Ability to communicate effectively with external and internal stakeholders.
- Excellent administrative capabilities with a high level of attention to detail.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- The ability to travel internationally as required for the role.
How to apply
If you think you might be right for this job and this job might be right for you, please send an email marked “VACANCY: CHIEF GLOBAL PROGRAMS OFFICER” to . Your email should include the following attachments:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and demonstrating how you meet the person specification.
- Your current CV with email addresses and telephone numbers of two referees.
- An indication of when you would be available to start, if selected.
Closing date for applications is 3rd January 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates.