Global Social and Environmental Risk - VP Climate Risk
J.P. Morgan’s Global Environmental & Social Risk Management (GESRM) team has a global mandate for reviewing transactions for environmental and social risk in a number of different lines of business across the firm. The team are primarily based in London and currently review all relevant transactions and clients globally. In addition, the team is helping coordinate and develop the firm’s approach to climate related risk management.
We are looking for a candidate with a highly-motivated character to help us rapidly advance the firm’s plan to establish a comprehensive climate risk management framework against an ambitious timeline. The candidate should be able to creatively develop solutions for complex topics and have strong interpersonal skills to coordinate the implementation of those solutions. The candidate will be primarily responsible for establishing the risk approach to aligning the firm’s financial activity to a low-carbon economy. This task will be done in coordination with key stakeholders across the firm and in accordance with the firm’s business strategy and risk appetite.
In addition, the candidate will be leading climate related risk initiatives with support from the rest of the team. The individual needs to be a self-starter, able to articulate his / her thoughts clearly and have excellent attention to detail. The individual will be interfacing with a variety of internal counterparts across the firm. The role may involve limited travel and is an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to a broad spectrum of industries across multiple asset classes and geographies.
- Adapt internal policies as appropriate and help establish thresholds to guide business activity towards scenario-based targets
- Help develop a climate risk appetite framework consistent with the firm’s business strategy
- Develop and monitor key risk indicators to measure performance against the established tolerances and thresholds
- Update and maintain internal climate reference scenarios to inform any adjustments to existing climate targets, tolerances and thresholds
- Work with other risk groups to assess client transition prospects and the associated impact on their risk profile
- Provide training to staff on climate related risk
- Develop and drive research on a range of climate related topics that affect the firm’s clients
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience in a relevant climate change / risk / role
- Working knowledge of decarbonisation trajectories for key sectors
- Robust understanding of banking products and decision-making processes
- Knowledge of relevant third-party data and portfolio alignment methods is desirable
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. environmental studies, sustainability, economics, finance)
- Ability to convey information clearly, accurately and succinctly (both written and verbally)
- Excellent analytical skills: proficient in Excel modelling and comfortable working large datasets
- Ability to draft high-impact presentations and documentation
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world’s most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
About the Team
Our professionals in our Corporate Functions cover a diverse range of areas from finance and risk to human resources and marketing. Our corporate teams are an essential part of our company, ensuring that we’re setting our businesses, clients, customers and employees up for success.
Risk Management helps the firm understand, manage and anticipate risks in a constantly changing environment. The work covers areas such as evaluating country-specific risk, understanding regulatory changes and determining credit worthiness. Risk Management provides independent oversight and maintains an effective control environment.