E.U./U.K. local recruitment: COP26 Lead
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The COP26 Lead will be the primary advisor to the Executive Director and EDF Programmes on the who, how and when of interaction with the UK Government’s COP26 team to achieve EDF objectives. Working closely with EDF Executives and programmes they will help shape EDF’s strategic objectives for COP26. They will deliver intelligence on political developments and key stakeholders in COP26 preparations to ensure that EDF is able to use opportunities for maximising our influence and profile to ensure the most impact for our work. The COP26 Lead will represent EDF and EDF Europe with key stakeholders, and will maintain and develop our profile and reputation in the lead up to COP26.
The COP26 Lead reports to the Executive Director, Europe.
- Develop and with the Executive Director and Programme Leads, implement a public affairs strategy for COP26 to advance policy priorities at COP26
- To understand Programme priorities and objectives
- Develop goals and strategy for each programme for Cop26 that are collaborative and fit within the branding goals for EDF Europe
- Develop a business engagement strategy
- Raise the profile of the broad range of EDF programmatic work, with the particular focus on the work of EDF Europe
- Provide intelligence and analysis of developments in the arrangements and key priorities for COP26 so EDF can engage to help influence the outcomes
- Create and deliver a landscape assessment that includes:
a. Key stakeholders and contacts, including but not limited to working groups, partner organisations and individuals
b. Timelines for important dates such as meetings and announcements
c. Attend meetings on EDFE’s behalf for information gathering and fact finding
- Create a monthly report for EDF programme leads on developments in the previous month and forthcoming opportunities and key dates
- Work closely and collaboratively with programmes and the Head of Communications in Europe
- Support the work of EDF + Business in raising EDF’s profile within the EU business and investor network attending COP26
- Support the work of EDF + Business in advancing our profile and agenda with high impact companies and investors in Europe
Skills & Experience
- Educated to Masters level in International Relations, Economics, Political Science, Environmental Science or related topics or equivalent professional experience
- Significant experience of working at a senior level within the UK government and familiarity with departments, organisation and the personnel engaged for organising COP26
- Significant experience of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Conferences of the Parties and how they are organised
- Strong political judgement and partnership skills with the ability to develop and maintain strong, high-level networks of relations within EDF and externally with key stakeholders
- Excellent influencing and persuading skills working at a senior level
- Excellent analytical skills and able to provide strategic guidance in EDF relations with key partners
- Results oriented, excellent organisational skills and ability to juggle a variety of tasks from different programmes within EDF
- Fluent English essential, fluency in other EU languages highly desirable
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- You must have the right to live and work in the EU & UK when applying
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.