Job Number: 502426 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The purpose of the assignment is to provide technical support to UNICEF supported WASH Emergency programme in refugee settlement areas and transition center.
Key Expected Results
Assessment and Planning:
- Participate in both mutli sector and sectoral assessment.
- Identify the need and gap required for continued emergency response to provide water and sanitation services as per the minimum SPHERE standard to Refugees.
- Prepare agreed WASH Intervention plan for immediate need and long term need ensuring that these are adequately reflected in the overall country strategies.
- Provide details plan of requisition, releasing and monitoring of WASH emergency supplies.
- Develop an exit or transition strategy for UNICEF supported response.
Identification of key partners:
- Identify key humanitarian partners for WASH, based on their respective mandates and program priorities
- Identify other key partners including local and national authorities
- Carry out capacity mapping of all current and potential actors – government, national and international humanitarian organizations as well as national institutions, the private sector
Monitoring and Supervision
- Establish and maintain data system to measure progress against CCCs standards and benchmarks
- Monitor, Supervise and ensure the quality of WASH activities mainly on Water, sanitation and hygiene promotional activities including development of piped water system to cover entire refugees implemented by UNICEF PCA and private sector Partners; at refugee transition center and settlement area
- Provide technical support to Zonal Offices, District government and partners, including DWO and DHO to monitor and supervise WASH emergency activities like water trucking, drilling and rehab of boreholes, construction of latrines and hygiene promotion activities.
Support to appropriate sectoral humanitarian coordination mechanism
- Support, Participate and coordinate if necessary any emergency related WASH coordination meetings held at national and sub national level at UNHCR/OPM and in refugee settlement areas as necessary.
- Support the establishment/maintaining of appropriate sector coordination mechanism including working groups at national and sub national level.
- Ensure effective linkage with other sector especially Health, Education and Nutrition
- Based on information obtained from the meetings prepare situation update report for UNICEF internal use.
Application of standards, including training and capacity building of national/local authorities and civil society:
- Ensure that UNICEF-supported districts and partners are aware of relevant policy guidelines, technical standards
- Ensure that responses are in line with existing policy guidance, technical standards, and relevant Government human rights legal obligations.
- Promote and support training of humanitarian personnel and capacity building of humanitarian partners, based on the mapping and understanding of available capacity;
- Support efforts to strengthen the capacity of the national/local authorities and civil society
Advocacy and resource mobilization:
- Identify core advocacy concerns, including resource requirements, and contribute key messages to broader advocacy initiatives of the Humanitarian Coordinator and other actors;
- Prepare periodic donor updates and support donor field visits as relevant
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the relevant areas of water, sanitation and hygiene, water quality, public health, environmental health. Should have experience with design, construction and supervision of water supply including boreholes and piped water systems.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach.
- Ability to travel and live in stressful and hardship condition and familiarity with the culture and settlement patterns of the refugee settlement area
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Leading and Supervising (I)
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts (II)
- Analyzing (III)
- Relating and Networking (II)
- Deciding and Initiating Action (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (III)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 16 Jan 2017 E. Africa Standard Time
Closing Date 30 Jan 2017 E. Africa Standard Time