Kyrgyzstan nationals: Climate Change Adviser/ NAP Project Manager
The Kyrgyz Republic has recognized the risks posed by climate change and has begun to take steps towards improving their adaptive capacity. The integration of climate change and disaster risk management into sustainable development planning, poverty reduction and adaptation to climate change are one of five priority areas required for building a basis of stable risk management, according to international standards. The Government of the Kyrgyz Republic with support of the UNDP submitted a funding proposal for Green Climate Fund (GCF) Readiness and Preparatory Support for the formulation of its National Adaptation Plan. This process will be consistent with the government’s strategic vision for climate change adaptation. The project objective is to establish a national adaptation planning process that enhances vertical and horizontal climate change adaptation planning, facilitates mainstreaming of climate risks at sectoral and subnational levels, and identifies a program of priority climate change adaptation investments.
The UNDP and Green Climate Fund Readiness project on "Advancing development of a National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process for medium and long-term adaptation planning and implementation in the Kyrgyz Republic " will be implemented in partnership with the government of the Kyrgyz Republic with extensive stakeholder consultations, studies, and assessments to foster national and subnational ownership to further ensure sustainability of outcomes. The project aims to strengthen institutional and technical capacities for iterative development of a NAP and integration of climate change adaptation into national and subnational planning and budgeting processes in Kyrgyzstan. This will involve strengthening of existing frameworks and systems, enhancing capacities of key stakeholders, expanding the evidence base to effectively contribute to the adaptation planning process, and establishing a mechanism to sustain the process.
The UNDP/GCF Readiness project objective is to strengthen institutional and technical capacities for iterative development of a NAP and integration of climate change adaptation into national and subnational planning and budgeting processes in Kyrgyzstan, and the project is structured into three outcomes:
i) Outcome 1: Strengthened coordination and institutional arrangements for adaptation planning;
ii) Outcome 2: Priority sector-focused adaptation plans developed;
iii) Outcome 3: Sub-national climate change adaptation capacities strengthened.
Under direct supervision and guidance of UNDP Country Office Climate Change Policy and Programme Analyst and in close coordination with other programme clusters, the Climate Change Advisor/ NAP Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management and implementation of project at the programme level, and provides for their effective and efficient management through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management, monitoring and reporting of project(s) activities towards the achievement of their main objectives in line with UNDP rules of procurement, recruitment, and financial management. Climate Change Advisor/Projects Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Climate Change Advisor/ NAP Project Manager works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/projects-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Climate Change Advisor/ Project Manager will be responsible for the overall management of project activities, ensuring a proper workplan and budget is in place and implemented within set timelines, with an effective national team and strong partnerships. Work in close collaboration with the Government counterparts, projects, operations, and Programme's staff in the CO to exchange climate change information and ensure consistent service delivery, and undertake day-to-day responsibility for operational support services for the achievement of the outputs, through lead and coordination of national and international consultant groups.
The Project Manager will ensure implementation mechanisms such as the National Steering Committee and technical working groups are established and meet regularly, that all planned workshops, technical studies and other activities are organized in a timely manner, meeting expected quality standards.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide strategic and technical advice on the Climate change adaptation to the national partners and Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Cluster;
- Coordinate relevant Programme/ projects activities from substantive, administrative and financial points of view, systematic coordination of all programme/ projects activities that would result in a holistic and cross-practiced implementation of different programmes/ projects at both central and local level;
- Ensure effective communication and coordination with other Programme clusters, and the UNDP Country office;
- Provide direction and leadership to programme/projects teams and responsible parties in advocating programme/projects objectives and in ensuring that all interested Parties are well informed about the programme/projects’ activities and goals;
- Identify possible support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the Programme/projects;
- Control timely preparation and compilation of the Programme/Projects’ Annual/Quarterly Work Plans and Progress/Final substantial and financial reports and its submission to the UNDP CO;
- Prepare and ensure timely submission of all progress and financial reports, bi-annual, mid-term and terminal reports, and other reports as may be required by GCF, provide regular input to UNDP corporate system ATLAS for financial and program management on project progress, financial status and various risk and issue logs;
- Manage and monitor the project risks – including social and environmental risks - initially identified and submit new risks to the Project Board for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log;
- Prepare monthly reports for the CO on key programme/project activities, issues and required action points, and provide oversight to the drafting process of monthly integrated progress and related reports, based on the need;
- Assess major and minor amendments to the project within the parameters set by UNDP-NCE;
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to the programme/projects and subcomponents’ sites and report to UNDP CO on the status of activities, including suggestions for improvements;
- Guide and orient efforts and contributions of consultants, personnel and government counterparts towards achievement of programme/ projects objectives. Procure goods and services to initiate activities, including drafting of TORs and work specifications;
- Under the Country Office lead, contribute to the development of a gender mainstreaming strategy and ensure mainstreaming of gender into all programmatic activities;
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Support the Terminal Evaluation process;
- Meet feedback from the respective CO staff on the basis of a performed quality assurance function from the CO and ensure that those are addressed in a timely and quality-based manner;
- Represent programmes/projects, if delegated and required on behalf of UNDP, vis-a-vis other UN organizations in Kyrgyzstan, donor organizations, other international organizations, as well as national Government and non-governmental institutions and endeavor to build professional relationships with local, district and regional authorities in order to ensure full participation of a broad spectrum of national leadership in the identification, planning and execution of programme/ projects activities;
- Ensure proper professional relationships with community leaders, local NGOs and other Community Based Organizations (such as Women associations, Youth associations, etc).
- Oversee the process of verification and channeling of all requests for programme/ projects, administrative, logistical and other support, and report all incidents related to security and issues of general concern to UNDP CO;
- Control the transfer of programme/ projects deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials as per the standard UNDP norms and procedures;
- Control establishment and maintenance of proper electronic and paper filing systems;
- Perform other duties that may be required by UNDP CO CC Policy and Programme -Analyst or UNDP Senior Management;
- Input/support other relevant Climate Change Adaptation national interventions as well as other projects’ activities as requested by the Team Leader of the Cluster;
- Draft timely and high-quality background papers, briefing notes, talking points, analysis, and other substantive information for the Team Leader on CC and DRM and as requested by UNDP CO on relevant Climate Change Adaptation projects - activities and issues;
- Support capacity and knowledge building initiatives of national counterparts, including curriculum development, trainings, workshops, seminars, conferences, design of interventions, as well as identify opportunities for government counterparts to share their experience with other countries and facilitates South-South cooperation;
- Contribute to the harnessing of effective partnerships and competitive selection of partners for implementation of UNDP projects; promote joint programming, and collaborate effectively in established frameworks for UN and other international coordination; ensure proper coordination and information sharing with all international and national partners working in Climate change adaptation;
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the projects for organizational sharing and learning as well as external information.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ensures consistency of the implementation with UN/UNDP values.
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Demonstrated capacity in knowledge sharing and knowledge management and ability to promote a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Ability to advocate and provide top quality Climate Change Adaptation advisory services with options for solutions on related issues.
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues.
- Ability to conduct research and analysis and strong synthesis skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to develop innovative approaches to program design, implementation. monitoring evaluation of development programmes and projects.
- Ability to mobilize resources and use in a cost-effective manner.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritise and complete tasks based on their urgency.
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback; consensus-oriented.
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation.
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Proactive and have the ability to discuss openly with all senior and technical government staff.
- Results-oriented and efficiency in a multi-tasking environment.
- Capacity to perform effectively under pressure and hardship conditions.
- Highly develop inter-personal, negotiation and teamwork skills, networking aptitude, ability to work in multi-cultural environment.
- Highly developed inter-cultural communication and skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Environmental Studies/ Economics/ Social Sciences/ International Relations/ Development Studies or any other relevant field;
- Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage;
- Gender certification is an asset.
- At least 5 years of progressive working experience in the design, management/implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects in environment and/or projects in the field of Sustainable Development or Climate Change, Natural Resources Management and/ or working in a relevant position to this post;
- At least 2 years of experience in managing teams;
- Proven experience in working with Government institutions and/or CSOs;
- Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focused reports;
- Sound knowledge of development methodologies, including participatory approaches to strategic planning, strategic management and the management of institutional change in developing countries;
- Experience of work with the international organizations, high-level government officials representing central governmental bodies and/ or local administrations;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Fluency in English and Russian languages;
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz language is an asset.