WASH Sector Leader Nepal
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for structural change and scale in its programmes, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at country level to contribute to systems’ change. We will continue to position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV’s WASH initiatives in both a rural and an urban context will provide access to improved drinking water services and/or improved sanitary facilities for 5 million people from 2019 to 2022. Access to water and sanitation is a human right, and we work with local governments to realise that right in their area, aiming at area-wide services. Our work improves environmental health by reducing pathways for disease transmission, and reduces both untreated human waste and wastewater.
Long-term sustainability lies at the core of our work. We strengthen public governance around WASH services, support institutional changes and capacity, develop financially viable services, and improve asset management of existing WASH infrastructure. This includes strengthening the roles of civil society and the private sector in advocacy and operation, as well as promoting sector and stakeholder dialogue and reflection about changing needs and standards in the light of increasing urbanisation and the Sustainable Development Goals.
SNV Nepal was our first office in Asia, commencing in 1980. Since then we have directly impacted the lives of people in some of the poorest districts of the country. Currently we operate in 4 of 7 provinces across Nepal. The primary office is based in Kathmandu, with project offices in provinces. SNV’s WASH sector in Nepal presently has four major projects under implementation, encompassing both rural and urban sanitation, WASH in health care facilities and rural water. Our work is aligned with the development priorities of the government of Nepal and integrates the strengthening of the new federal structure at federal, provincial and local level.
Our programme in Nepal is looking to increase its impact both in quality and volume of work. To support this we are looking for a talented and experienced dynamic WASH professional to join our team to provide cutting edge expertise and leadership. Interested candidates should meet the basic qualifications outlined within the Candidate Profile and exhibit a strong desire to be a catalyst for change.
Overview of the position
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team to further build on SNVs high quality WASH programme.
The WASH Sector Leader;
1) Is responsible for the overall quality of WASH programme content, business development, team management and steering the quality of technical advisory services, SNV WASH programmes in country;
2) Is responsible for donor reporting and relations in country including sharing SNV thought leadership in WASH;
3) Will enhance the quality and visibility of our WASH programmes and position SNV within the national WASH sector; and
4) Assumes the role of in-country Project Manager for the USHHD (Urban Sanitation and Hygiene for Health and Development) project in Nepal.
The WASH Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team.
· Strategic Leadership: develop country level WASH strategy aligned to corporate WASH frameworks;
· Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the WASH sector team;
· Programme Management: deliver effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
· Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative WASH programmes;
· People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, local capacity builders and consultants;
· Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH programmes in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
· Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
· Knowledge and learning: Contributes to organisational learning by gaining and sharing knowledge and best practices. Prepare and keep up to date the WASH sector knowledge agenda. Produce and share high quality knowledge products to stimulate internal and external knowledge exchange and to support global learning.
· Relationship Management: ensure quality donor relationship management related to ongoing and new programmes/projects.
· Contribute to SNV as a member of the Country Management Team.
· Relevant advanced academic qualification in WASH or related field;
· 7+ years of relevant experience in WASH service delivery including at least 5 years in a management role;
· A thorough understanding of the aspects influencing sustainable WASH service delivery beyond the community level.
· International work experience in-country and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
· Experience in resource mobilisation; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
· Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects;
· Commitment to Gender and social inclusion in WASH programming.
· Established WASH networks and strong relationship management skills;
. Interest to collaborate, contribute to and learn from peers in SNV’s global WASH network;
. Proficiency in English speaking, reading and writing with the ability to produce high quality technical writing and knowledge products;
. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Contract Type : Dutch Employment Contract with International benefit package
Contract Duration : 18 months
Expected Start Date : As soon as possible
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and international working environment. Our staff benefits from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
How to Apply?
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation before 9th of December 2020.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement -