WASH Advisor (Manila), PHILIPPINES (National Post)
ARE YOU THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THIS EXCITING ROLE?
Contract Length: Two year fixed-term
Base location: Manila, Philippines with regular travel
Benefits: Oxfam offers staff a comprehensive benefits package including annual leave entitlements, sick pay provision, medical cover plus opportunities for learning and development.
Oxfam’s vision is a just world without poverty: a world in which people can influence decisions that affect their lives, enjoy their rights, and assume their responsibilities as full citizens of a world in which all human beings are valued and treated equally. Oxfam sa Pilipinas has been working in the country for over 25 years. In the Philippines, our goal is to contribute to the eradication of poverty by supporting women and other vulnerable groups in saving lives and building livelihoods, enhancing their resilience to crises, shocks and stresses, and making their voices heard to hold duty-bearers accountable.
Oxfam sa Pilipinas has recently undergone a transformation to its business model in order to respond to a changing external environment and to focus on strengthening partnership as a primary modality for delivery of programmes. As part of this restructure we are also focusing on the technical areas in which we can add the most value within the Philippines and have identified continued work within WASH as one of those key areas.
If you’re a senior development professional with a credible track record in WASH, looking to take the next step in your career with an exciting global organization, then this could be your role.
As the WASH Advisor for Oxfam you will be responsible for taking to scale one of the country’s most promising sanitation marketing pilot projects. You will work with partner organisations to develop replicable, markets-based WASH programs to build an evidence base for advocacy and influencing. You will also develop partnerships with academia and private sector WASH enterprises for the development, testing and refinement of innovative technologies for sustainable sanitation, water treatment and desalination, and will also develop partnerships with non-WASH actors, to bring enterprise development, market research and behavioral economic skills into WASH programs. Finally you will develop pro-poor business models to deliver WASH services at affordable prices to the most marginalized and work with the private sector to ensure their humanitarian response activities follow best practice and have the greatest impact for the most vulnerable.
What Skills Are We Looking For
The ideal candidate will have a sound knowledge of the Philippines political and economic landscape. S/he will have had significant experience of WASH programming in the Philippines and be an accomplished professional with an in-depth technical understanding and commitment to a rights-based approach. Wide experience working in partnership with a variety of stakeholders is crucial, as is a demonstrated ability to take a service oriented attitude to partnership. The ideal candidate has to be proactive, a problem solver and keen to try out new things. Excellent communication skills, including fluency in English and Tagalog is also essential.
You will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Bachelors degree or higher in water and sanitation, engineering, public health or economics.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in developing country work, including specific experience in development of public, private and partner organizations focused on the WASH sector, sector coordination and policy dialogue.
- Minimum of 2 years experience of supporting WASH programs within the humanitarian or post-humanitarian context.
- Sound technical knowledge and experience of water supply and sanitation including: water supply solid waste and sanitation technologies/approaches and approaches to promotion of sanitation and hygiene behaviour change
- Strong interpersonal skills and a highly developed ability to work in multicultural settings and with community groups of varying backgrounds; developed capacity for tact, diplomacy and negotiation
- Demonstrated capacity to apply a service oriented approach to working in partnership and cross-functionally with experience of working with a wide variety of partners, especially government, private sector and academic institutions
- Experience in developing and implementing market-based programming for WASH, including WASH-related market assessment/analysis and market-strengthening activities
- Solid track record of managing funds from institutional donors such as DFID, EU(ECHO), DFAT, SIDA, OFDA, and UN
- Solid experience of writing successful proposals and concepts notes
- Mature understanding of transformation derived from direct experience in a development and/or humanitarian context
- High level of influencing skills with proven ability to influence stakeholders at multiple levels
- Well developed analytical and strategic planning skills with the ability to influence the wider country programme strategy
- Demonstrated experience in building capacity for WASH programming in partner organizations
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective monitoring and evaluation systems for WASH programming
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into water and sanitation programmes
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English and Filipino
- Masters degree in WASH related or economics discipline
- Experience with tender and consortium bid development and management
- Previous experience working with private sector actors
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement opportunities for innovation
This post will be Manila-based with regular travel to field sites and occasional international travel
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/5289/description OR visit our website www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs using the job reference number INT3166. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. In your application please ensure that you address your suitability towards the outlined selection criteria, in order to be shortlisted.
Closing Date: 30th January 2017
Interviews will be held first week of February.
Oxfam is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. We welcome and encourage applications from women, minority and underrepresented groups