BORDA e.V. (Bremen Overseas Research & Development Association) is an expert NGO specialising in full-cycle decentralised sanitation. For over 40 years, our award-winning solutions have empowered people and set new standards in 20+ countries around the world. We aim to play a leading role in international efforts to achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The BORDA South Africa Country Director will be responsible for furthering BORDA’s mission in South Africa, which includes supporting South African municipalities in establishing decentralized sanitation schemes and promoting integrated sanitation solutions for peri-urban and urban areas.
Requirements for the position:
- Excellent leadership, management, presentation, and networking skills
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in civil engineering, urban planning, environmental studies, development studies, or other relevant field. Additional qualifications in project management, communications, facilitation, business development, and/or international relations desirable.
- At least 5 years’ experience (10+ years preferred) in nonprofit management, programme management, development, coordination, and/or director roles in a similar sector, with extensive knowledge of the South African WASH sector.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, partners, external actors and allies.
- Demonstrated sound judgement and the ability to mentor junior staff members.
- Willingness and availability to travel regularly within South Africa and internationally.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Demonstrated success in cross-cultural communication.
- Flexible, highly motivated, and inspiring.
- Has rights to live and work in South Africa (South African citizens, permanent residents, or existing visa-holders only).
- Managing the growing BORDA South Africa operations, including overseeing finances and compliance with South African regulations and donor requirements, supervising staff, and strategic planning.
- Resource mobilization, maintaining donor relations, and timely reporting.
- Coordination with BORDA headquarters in Bremen, BORDA Africa country offices, partner organisations, municipalities, research institutions, etc.
- Programme development and management, particularly related to decentralised sanitation and capacity development.
This is a full-time position based in Durban on a fixed-term contract basis. To apply, send CV and cover letter to Alex Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 20th of December 2020. For more information, visit www.borda-africa.org/south-africa/