Sierra Leone nationals: National Irrigation and rural infrastructure Engineer
FAO Representation in Sierra Leone implements an integrated food security programme, focusing on diversification of livelihoods, managing natural resources and building resilience. The office employs diverse team of experts locally, but also attracts the available technical experts from the region and the Head Quarters (HQ). FAO works in close partnership with the Government of Sierra Leone, farmers and other stakeholders, supporting plans and policies that affect the food and nutrition security in the country; our work is a part of the corporate commitment to support countries to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030, especially SDG 2 on Zero Hunger.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Sierra Leone, the Consultant will be directly supervised by Lead Technical Officer and the project Coordinator at the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
Develop the National Irrigation Master Plan for Sierra Leone, ensure timely delivery of result
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Sierra Leone and direct supervision of the of the Lead Technical Officer and Project Coordinator, the Consultant will:
- Hydrological analyses to assess the potential of water resources in rivers for different uses;
- Produce a diagnostic study on the current state of use of water resources in the regions concerned.
- Propose hydro-agricultural utilization and other uses of water resources in all agro-ecological zones and determine irrigation methods appropriate to the crops, the topography and the source of the water.
- Propose improvements to agricultural feeder roads.
- Integrate multiple uses of water resources in consideration of existing opportunities and programs
- Propose capacity-building actions
- Contribute to the facilitation of a master plan validation workshop
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Engineer in Irrigation and rural infrastructure or equivalent.
- Five years of relevant experience in agricultural irrigation technologies in Sierra Leone
- Working knowledge of English and knowledge of local languages in Sierra Leone will be an added advantage
- National of Sierra Leone
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in Project Management, with particular emphasis in developing countries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting stakeholder (government, private sector, civil society and local communities) to develop the capacity to develop National Action Plan
- Demonstrated capacity to develop partnerships with a range of stakeholders including donors;
- Demonstrated capacity to provide assistance in the organization of technical meetings, platforms and learning events;
- Demonstrated capacity to prepare documentation materials of work on agricultural investments and supporting Family farming initiative in Sierra Leone