CU-SEI Joint PhD Student/Research Associate
Chulalongkorn University and SEI Asia are recruiting for a joint PhD Student/Research Associate position within Public Policy and Economics of Water Resource management.
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Deadline: 4 December 2020
Chulalongkorn University (CU) and SEI are jointly recruiting a highly motivated candidate for a Joint Ph.D. Student/Research Associate position (hereafter refer to as “joint-position”) in fields related to either Water Resources Management and/or Policy Analysis for Environment and Development.
The successful candidate’s main responsibility is to work on research activities that will be mutually agreed upon by CU, SEI and the successful candidate, from the design stage through to implementation, as well as to communicate the results to the targeted users of the research findings.
The successful candidate can enroll as a doctoral/Ph.D. student at Chulalongkorn University, where their tuition fee will be exempted (or be awarded the full scholarship). Completion of the degree will be mainly based on research publications. The publications will be considered as joint publications of CU and SEI.
It is not compulsory for the joint position to take any study course. However, they are entitled to do so without any charge if it is recommended by co-supervisors of both parties.
The successful candidate will report directly to two co-supervisors assigned by CU and SEI and respective project leaders/managers for which s/he/they work with, and is under the overall supervision of the SEI Asia Centre Director and the Ph.D. Program Director at CU.
Research area/topics and required qualifications
Joint Position on Public Policy and Economics of Water Resource Management in ASEAN
- To address key policy and practice questions governing sustainable development of water resources in the ASEAN region.
- Research topics focus on the role, impact, and influence of public policy in delivering and managing water resources in ASEAN. Specific priority will be in areas that relate to and build on transdisciplinary approaches to understanding and delivering sustainable development outcomes, with an interest in Ecological Economics.
Required qualifications and experience
To succeed in this role, you can work both in teams and independently in a highly flexible and exciting research environment, and also able to combine theoretical knowledge with practical, people-based skills.
- Master’s degree with at least three years of relevant experience in, natural resources management, sustainable development, public policy or applied economics.
- GPA of the master’s degree is 3.50 or higher
- Good record of research publications, at least one peer-review publication as first author or corresponding author
- Excellent skills and proven fluency in spoken and written English (an English testing score is required for the application)
- Work experience in the ASEAN region is desirable
- Extensive understanding and knowledge of the ASEAN region
- Experience working with inter- or transdisciplinary projects
- Experience of engaging with a variety of stakeholders is desirable
The start date and duration of the Ph.D. program is from 5 January 2021–31 December 2023.
- Exemption of tuition fee and other fees related to the proposal defense and final defense for the three-year Ph.D. program at CU
- Monthly scholarship equivalent of 30,000 THB/month
- All travel required by SEI will be covered financially by SEI
- The candidate will have access to work facilities at SEI and CU
- Other potential benefits include a possibility for an internship/exchange or visit with/to other SEI centres, or other opportunities for traveling abroad for fieldwork or presenting your work at international conferences. These benefits are subject to the interest of all concerned parties, funding availability and relevancy of research of the joint position holders.
Note: The student needs to cover the traveling cost from his/her/their home country, visa application fee and health insurance for the study in Thailand by him/her/themself.