Environmental Policy Program Manager
For more than 14 years, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has been the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud computing platform. What is cloud computing? Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of IT resources over the Internet. Instead of buying, owning, and maintaining physical data centers and servers, companies can access technology services, such as computing power, storage, and databases, on an as-needed basis from AWS. AWS offers over 175 fully featured services for compute, storage, databases, networking, analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, mobile, security, hybrid, virtual and augmented reality, media, and application development, deployment, and management from 77 Availability Zones across 24 geographic regions. AWS services are trusted by millions of active customers around the world - including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies—to power their infrastructure, make them more agile, and lower costs. AWS is committed to running our business in the most environmentally friendly way possible, and our scale allows us to achieve higher resource utilization and energy efficiency than the typical on-premises data center. In 2019 Amazon announced The Climate Pledge, which includes our commitment to power our operations with 100% renewable energy by 2025, on the path to achieving net zero carbon across our businesses by 2040. To learn more about AWS, visit https://aws.amazon.com and https://sustainability.aboutamazon.com/environment/the-cloud.
The AWS Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) team is an expanding and dynamic team that is critical to enabling AWS’s growth around the world, as well as ensuring compliance of AWS’s global operations, including physical data centers, as well as other AWS facilities, customer-facing enterprises and products. The EHS team has responsibility for architecting and implementing AWS’s global environmental and safety programs. This includes defining and implementing risk management and compliance systems and driving their continuous improvement; setting and refining global policies and procedures; overseeing the development of standards, tools, auditing and metrics, and employee training; ensuring effective engagement by environmental and health & safety teams on global initiatives, including those that are part of Amazon’s ambitious sustainability goals; providing specialist expertise; and engaging with all AWS business units to provide scalable and effective environmental and health & safety compliance strategies that support current and future business objectives while ensuring employee safety and compliance with environmental and health & safety regulations.
We are searching for an Environmental Policy Program Manager that will be responsible—on a global basis—for leading the AWS Environmental team’s efforts in collecting, researching and analyzing changing environmental requirements, identifying opportunities for influencing existing and emerging environmental requirements, and partnering with AWS’s Public Policy team to advance strategic policy initiatives. The PM will also lead analysis and outreach efforts to compile publicly available information concerning regulatory priorities, and he/she will develop resources to help internal partners understand the broader environmental public policy landscape.
The Environmental Policy Program Manager must have a strong environmental background, and should be familiar with business, technology, economics and public policy. The ideal candidate should be comfortable with and excellent at strategic thinking; adept at collecting and analyzing raw data and information; experienced at turning that data into meaningful insights; and comfortable presenting analyses in understandable tables, graphs and written reports. He or she should also have experience in communicating directly with environmental regulators and elected representatives. Experience in the following environmental disciplines is a plus: air, water, waste, emergency response, emergency preparedness, sustainability and environmental due diligence. The Environmental Policy Program Manager will preferably have global experience and demonstrated success in program development and project management, as well as experience leading and partnering with geographically dispersed teams.
· Collecting, researching, and analyzing changing environmental requirements.
· Identifying opportunities for influencing existing and emerging environmental requirements.
· Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to advance policy initiatives.
· Lead analysis and outreach efforts to compile publicly available information concerning regulatory priorities.
· Develop resources to help internal partners understand the broader public policy environment.
· Develop strategic programs by integrating with planning, engineering, construction, and operations.
· Prioritize and manage multiple technically complex assignments concurrently.
· Bachelor’s Degree in chemical or environmental engineering, chemistry, or related field of study.
· 8+ years of experience serving in a public policy role, including as an environmental manager, program specialist, technical resource or program manager.
· Broad knowledge of global environmental regulations and programs.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experience interfacing with senior leaders.
· Experience in a fast-paced and growing organization.
· Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability across multiple jurisdictions.
· Experience leading change across multiple sites/locations and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports or within your organization.
· Excellent organizational and project management skills.
· Ability to distill complex and ambiguous subjects into clear action plans.
· Strong interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, strong relationship builder, solid influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to coach at multiple levels.
· Proficient with MS Excel, Word, and Windows Operating Systems.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Travel estimated at 25%.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.