Program Associate (Sustainable Ocean Initiative)
This is a limited term position, ending 30 September 2021.
In this role you will support the delivery, and the development of WRI’s Sustainable Ocean Initiative and its associated work streams. You will be required to provide expertise, input and guidance to help advance work streams and activities under consideration by the Program, with particular emphasis on supporting the activities of the Ocean Panel and driving implementation of its ambitious ocean agenda. You will assist in building new partnerships and finding strategic synergies within and across priority countries, regions and sectors. You will provide technical inputs, and analysis in support of the Ocean Panel agenda, and contribute to fundraising and grant preparation and reporting of evidence-based program impact.
This is a multi-faceted role requiring close collaboration with external partners and colleagues across the Ocean Panel Secretariat, WRI, WRI’s international offices, and the Friends of Ocean Action. You will have experience of working with senior stakeholders in government, business and civil society, and preferably a strong background in ocean issues or related topics such as ecosystem restoration and governance, nature-based solutions, climate mitigation, adaptation and financing. You must be flexible and results-oriented with excellent organization, writing and communication skills and strong attention to detail. This position is based in London and reports to the Deputy Head of Secretariat for the Ocean Panel. This is a limited term, ending 30 September 2021.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in London once restrictions have lifted.
- Support the effective delivery of the Ocean Panel agenda in the lead up to 2021 UN Ocean Conference and UN General Assembly, contributing technical content, undertaking rapid analysis, and supporting material preparation
- Support the action coalitions for nature-based infrastructure and shipping decarbonization (formed in response to Ocean Panel recommendations), ensuring a clear workplan for the development and launch of associated products and provide support for relevant convenings or events
- Support WRI’s emerging work stream for the restoration of marine and coastal ecosystems at scale, undertaking research to shape relevant analyses and project deliverables, and (with support from senior staff) managing relationships with key partner organizations to advance project goals
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with WRI’s programs, centers and international offices to maximize synergies and leverage the existing knowledge, research and expertise of WRI
- Identify relevant opportunities and contribute to fundraising proposals (presentations, narratives, budgets) to advance elements of work in line with the strategy and theory of change for WRI’s ocean initiative
- Raise the profile of the work of WRI’s Ocean Initiative via relevant international fora, and internal communication with WRI colleagues
- Contribute to the production of original research, knowledge products, and communications materials, including blogs and newsletters
- Organize meetings, calls and webinars and support the preparation and coordination of associated preparatory and follow up materials
- Master's degree (or bachelor's degree with 2 additional years of experience)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience required Experience with ocean policy issues and nature-based solutions is not required but would be desirable
- Strong political, strategic and analytical abilities
- A task-oriented style, with a focus on achieving clear and ambitious goals
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization and communication with team members
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to synthesize large amounts of information and to focus quickly on the essence of an issue/problem and identify the means to address it
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to develop and manage productive relationships with consultants, partners and others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ease in presenting and facilitating, and briefly summarizing the essence of issues and means to address them
- Ability to work well in a team, including open and constructive communication and an interest in collaborating on a wide range of work products and projects
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter with resume. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered. Closing date for applications 14th December 2020.
Potential Annual Salary: £37,000- £46,250
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
The World Resources Institute’s (WRI) Sustainable Ocean Initiative (SOI) is focused on accelerating progress toward a sustainable ocean economy and achievement of SDG 14 - the Ocean Goal. The Initiative supports efforts to address the numerous challenges the ocean faces and encourage conservation of the marine environment alongside the sustainable use of the marine resources that are so crucial to many countries’ economic development and human well-being. Despite the central importance of a healthy ocean to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, solutions offered by the ocean, and the ocean economy, to support sustainable and equitable recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges such as food insecurity and climate mitigation and adaption have been largely overlooked.
Through the Ocean Initiative, WRI has set out to change this narrative, to build a greater understanding among governments, business leaders, financiers and practitioners of the opportunities, solutions, values and contribution of the ocean to the global economy, human health and wellbeing, and to accelerate knowledge-based decision making and solutions that drive inclusive ocean based economic opportunities while sustaining ocean ecosystems and coastal populations. WRI serves as the Secretariat to two globally influential ocean initiatives, the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy (Ocean Panel) and the Friends of Ocean Action (with the World Economic Forum), which allows us to place cutting edge research and analysis in the hands of decision makers to shape agendas and policies at the highest levels of business and government. With ocean partners, WRI works to raise the profile of the ocean on the international stage and catalyze and accelerate responsive action and innovative solutions for a sustainable ocean economy.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.