Recruitment has opened for a 6-month paid Internship role with C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group. The successful intern is expected to start in December 2020 and will be based in our Johannesburg Office.
The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group, now in its 15th year, connects 97 of the world’s greatest cities which have committed to tackling climate change. We bring mayors from around the world together to learn from each other in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and creating resilient, sustainable and low carbon cities. C40 cities represent more than 700 million urban citizens and their economies account for 25% of the global GDP. C40’s ‘Deadline 2020’ report sets out the critical role that the world’s major cities have to play in delivering the historic Paris Agreement to prevent catastrophic climate change.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organization is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), and Realdania.
C40 is offering interested graduates/undergraduates the opportunity to work in our Regions Team (Africa Office). The successful intern will provide support to the Africa Office and support to support the development of the Regional Sector Programmes (RSP) with the Water Programme as a priority. The successful intern will also manage the contacts information of city and partner organization in the C40 Salesforce.
If selected, working a 40-hour week, s/he will have the opportunity to develop skills and understanding in a range of subject areas, gaining valuable experience working with international colleagues in a fast-paced and exciting global organization.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
- Providing support as needed to the C40 Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director in the development of the Regional Sector Programmes (RSP).
- Providing desktop research (from academic and agency literatures, databases and other sources), as required on issues related to the RSP development and support with the production of draft text.
- Providing administrative support to delivery of the RSP-related meetings, events and regular updates.
- Managing and strengthening a database of C40 city and partner contacts in the C40 Salesforce.
- Assisting with supporting and monitoring progress of regular Regions Team campaigns (Participation Standards, Regional events, C40 Mailings process, etc.).
- Establishing and maintaining lines of communication and positive working relationships with all parties across the C40 network of offices.
- Passionate about the mission of C40 and a strong interest in helping cities overcome their sustainability and resilience challenges.
- Background in climate change, water or related climate action sectors.
- Strong organisational skills, with excellent attention to detail and a delivery-oriented approach.
- Strong coordination skills, with ability to work pro-actively to achieve efficiency and effectiveness as part of a diverse team.
- Extensive experience with data collection, analysis and communication, particularly with quantitative data collection and management.
- Strong oral/written communication in English (French will be an added advantage), research, and critical thinking skills.
- Highly competent with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Comfortable with technology, including web-based communications and spreadsheets. Keen to master new software and tools.
- With a degree in a relevant discipline, and preferably an advanced degree (knowledge of climate change adaptation or water is an added advantage).
Applicants must already have the right to work in Johannesburg.
Term: Fixed Term Contract – 6 months
Salary: ZAR 10,000 per month
Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday, 30 November 2020
To learn more about the work of C40 and our cities, please visit www.c40.org, follow us on Twitter @c40cities and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/C40Cities.
C40 is an equal opportunities employer.