Junior Media Relations and Social Media Consultant
The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is a regional intergovernmental partnership of ten Nile Basin countries, namely; Burundi, DR Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, The Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Eritrea participates as an observer. NBI was established on February 22, 1999 by Ministers in charge of Water Affairs in the Nile Basin countries. It is the only basin-wide institution mandated to facilitate the cooperative management and development of the common Nile Basin water resources on behalf of the 10-Member States, for win-win benefits and to promote regional peace and security.
NBI is currently implementing a ten year Strategy (2017 – 2027), with six goals namely; Water Security; Energy Security; Food Security, Environmental Sustainability; Climate Change Adaptation and Transboundary Water Governance.
2.0 The Assignment
The NBI Secretariat is organising the Nile Media Awards 2021, the 3rd edition since 2015 when the first event was held. The goal of the triennial Awards is to promote factual and constructive reporting on Nile cooperation and Nile Basin issues. Nominees will be recognised during the 6th Nile Basin Development Forum, a high level regional event also organised by NBI every three years.
The main purpose of this assignment is to provide technical support to the Secretariat in the successful organisation of the Nile Media Awards 2021 as well as in effectively communicating about both events through mainstream media and social media in particular.
The Secretariat is therefore seeking to hire a suitably qualified, highly motivated and results driven young professional, to work for a two (2) months period from January – February, 2021. The selected candidate will be responsible for media relations as well as on-line communications (social media and website).
Working under the supervision of the Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist, he/she will be responsible for the following:
- Media Relations
- Organise and provide logistical support for the Nile Media Awards 2021 including: Develop evaluation criteria/grid; liaise with partners, contact winners, organise entries submitted, develop content for certificates for winners and partners, award ceremony banners, award ceremony programme and appreciation plaques.
- Engage and build effective relations with the media, with the aim of enhancing media coverage for the Nile Media Awards 2021 and the 6th Nile Basin Development Forum. This will include taking the lead in organising press briefings, editors breakfast meetings, press coverage, press conferences and drafting press releases, press statements.
- Coordinate responses to and manage requests from journalists in relation to both events as well as NBI in general.
- Provide logistical support for the regional media training workshop organised prior to the 6th NBDF
- Undertake media monitoring to establish media coverage of both events
- Update the NBI media data base
- Online communications
- Regular update of the Nile Media Awards 2021 website
- Develop and implement a social media plan for both the Nile Media Awards 2021 and the 6th NBDF
- Develop content for and provide regular updates for the different social media accounts
- In consultation with the Communication and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist and other staff, respond to comments and inquiries for additional information on the social media platforms
- As required, provide on-site communication coverage to NBI events organised during the three (3) months period, with near real-time posting of news, press releases, blogs, social media entries, etc.
- Explore new uses of communications technologies and software including new social media tools that might of interest to NBI and recommend those media tools for use by NBI; when approved, expand the communication media with these new additions
- Maintain photo and video repository for both events for efficient reference
- Assist in monitoring and analysing website traffic and social media engagement by using analytics tools.
3.0 Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience required
- Minimum is Bachelors Degree in Mass Communications, Journalism or any other related field
- Specialised training in building effective media relations and the use of social media will be an added advantage.
- Five years established track record in media relations; using social media as a tool for development communication and/or mass mobilization; developing content for the website
- Demonstrated experience in supporting the organisation of large scale events such as media awards
- Ability to distil clear messages from technical documents and excellent analytical skills
- Professional experience in development communication; including writing for specific audiences and selection of the most effective communications mediums
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interviewing skills, experience in video recording and editing
- Demonstrated experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including senior government officials, donors, journalists, editors, policy-makers, consultants and academics
- Proven ability to sell stories to journalists
- Ability to regularly monitor the various media outlets
- Ability to work in a multi-task and multi-deadline environment
- Ability to maintain concentration as work is subject to frequent interruptions
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills, ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently, ability to take initiative and be innovative.
- Working knowledge of relevant computer software such as MS Office, WordPress, Adobe InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop, electronic mail procedures.
- Fluency in English, knowledge of French is an asset
This is a two (2) months full-time assignment, effective January – February 2021 and it is located at the NBI Secretariat in Entebbe, Uganda.
5.0 How to apply
Please submit your Curriculum Vitae and application letter with links to organisational online platforms/website managed to the contact below, latest November 27, 2020.
The Executive Director
Nile Basin Initiative Secretariat
P.O. Box 192 Entebbe, Uganda
Plot 12 Mpigi Road
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.