Philippines nationals: WASH Advisor
To strengthen Oxfam’s impact within WASH in the Philippines by ensuring that, through working in partnership with a diversity of organizations, it delivers on its goals of adding value in four key areas: linking and convening, providing technical expertise and capacity development, providing access to information, and channelling donor funds to partners for high quality programme delivery.
What we are looking for: SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, ATTRIBUTES AND VALUES:
- Bachelors degree or higher in water and sanitation, engineering, public health or economics. Equivalent technical experience and training can substitute for formal qualifications but not vice versa.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in design, development and management of WASH programmes including experience of coordinating large water and sanitation programmes.
- Sound technical knowledge and experience of water supply and sanitation including: water resources; water abstraction, treatment and supply; sanitation technologies; and approaches to promotion of sanitation and hygiene behaviour change.
- Experience in integrated public health promotion (combining water and sanitation with public health promotion), and a demonstrated understanding of health promotion approaches and methodologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a highly developed ability to work in multicultural settings and with community groups of varying backgrounds; developed capacity for tact, diplomacy and negotiation.
- Demonstrated capacity to apply a service oriented approach to working in partnership and cross-functionally with experience of working with a wide variety of partners, especially government, private sector and academic institutions.
- Experience in developing and implementing market-based programming for WASH, including WASH-related market assessment/analysis and market-strengthening activities.
- Significant experience of WASH programming within a humanitarian context.
- Solid track record of securing and managing funds from institutional donors such as DFID, EU(ECHO), DFAT, SIDA, OFDA, and UN.
- Solid experience of writing high quality proposals and concepts notes.
- Mature understanding of transformation derived from direct experience in a development and/or humanitarian context.
- High level of influencing skills with proven ability to influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Well developed analytical and strategic planning skills with the ability to influence the wider country programme strategy.
- Demonstrated experience in building capacity for WASH programming in partner organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective monitoring and evaluation systems for WASH programming.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into water and sanitation programmes.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement opportunities for innovation.
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English and Filipino.
- Masters degree in WASH related or economics discipline.
- Experience with tender and consortium bid development and management.
- Previous experience working with private sector actors including securing funds.
- Ability to demonstrate collective leadership, program management, sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Note to candidates: Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values and attributes at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our code of conduct.
Impact through Partnership
- In alignment with the Strategic Partnership Model and Oxfam Country Strategy, provides strategic leadership for all water, sanitation, hygiene and hygiene promotion (WASH) related programming and influencing for the country program.
- Manages WASH projects, as may be assigned.
- Influences, guides, and provides technical support in all stages (identification, assessment, analysis, design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation) of programs that support WASH, in line with global standards, Oxfam’s program standards, best practice, and program quality strategy.
- Contributes to writing high quality proposals, concept notes, and donor narrative reports for WASH related programs.
- Works collaboratively with relevant Portfolio Managers and teams to ensure that cross-cutting themes of gender, rights-based programming, and impact at scale, are embedded in WASH programming.
- Supports development of a resilience approach to all WASH related programming, ensuring accountability to beneficiaries and adherence to global standards.
- Provides technical advice to partner organizations on WASH related issues, including supporting partner organization program delivery to meet relevant quality standards.
- Develops strong relationships with key staff in partner organizations delivering WASH programs, and promotes regular dialogue, access, and feedback to ensure that programme quality standards are met.
- Contributes to monitoring, evaluation, learning and social responsibility (MELSA) strategy and implementation for WASH related programming.
- Develops partnerships and linkages with academic institutions for support in research and development of innovative WASH approaches.
- Establishes partnerships with private sector partners critical to WASH market chain development.
- Collaborates with EFSVL advisors, market specialists and partner staff to ensure a markets-based approach for WASH interventions, providing support to the entire WASH value chain, in order to achieve sustainability of programs.
Influencing, Networking, and Knowledge Sharing
- Represents Oxfam and positively contributes to inter-agency and government led fora on WASH, taking a lead role and contributing to strategy formulation where possible and relevant.
- Leads in developing and strengthening analysis and understanding of the policy and institutional context within the Philippines as it applies to WASH (humanitarian and development) and ensures that this understanding is reflected in programming and influencing work.
- Works collaboratively with the Policy Advocacy and Communications Team in pursuit of WASH campaigning and influencing objectives.
- Develops strong relationships with relevant institutional donors and private sector actors and works collaboratively with the business development team to mobilize funds in support of WASH programming.
- Works collaboratively with the MELSA Team to ensure that learning in WASH is captured, created and shared both vertically (global, regional, communities) and horizontally (across thematic areas, peers, partner organizations) to create awareness for innovative and cutting-edge practices and facilitate application to further develop WASH approaches in influencing, and development and humanitarian programming.
- Supports the Programs and Partnerships Unit in incubating and developing new partner-led concepts and projects, and innovative and fresh ideas to programming in WASH, providing technical support and linkages to key stakeholders both externally and within the wider organization.
- Provides technical input to country, regional, and global teams to assist in “go/no go” decision making for response in relation to WASH programming.
- Coordinates with partner organizations to conduct market assessments and other assessments as needed, providing technical advice as to appropriate tools and methodologies and leading in development of such tools as required
- Represents Oxfam in the WASH cluster coordination meetings.
- Supports relationships with relevant Oxfam regional and global WASH teams during emergency and non-emergency periods, remaining informed of key developments and making recommendations as to country programme support.
- Assists with the start-up of humanitarian response programmes and provides ongoing support to partners, program and WASH teams throughout implementation as required.
- Manages WASH projects, as may be assigned and assumes line management of direct delivery teams for WASH focused programs as appropriate.
Your commitment to Oxfam
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women's rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
Contract Length: Fixed Term Contract from December 1, 2020 until November 30, 2021
In response to Covid-19 if you are offered a role where you are required to travel between countries please ensure you have been briefed by the Hiring Manager about any changes to working or precautions you should take as part of your role.