Spring Internship: Youth Engagement & Communications
GWP Internship: Youth Engagement and Communications
Dates: Flexible start date in February, 3 months extendable up to 6 months
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a global action network with over 3,000 Partner organisations in 183 countries. Founded in 1996, the network has 65 Country Water Partnerships and 13 Regional Water Partnerships. GWP’s vision is a water secure world. To realise this vision GWP supports countries to advance governance and management of water resources for sustainable and equitable development. This is pursued by promoting Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), a cross-sectoral policy approach designed to replace the traditional, fragmented sectoral approach that has led to poor services and unsustainable resource use. As a means to achieving long-term impact towards water security, GWP seeks to influence water governance processes through the promotion of IWRM principles. Policy development, strategic planning, legislative change, investment planning and transboundary agreements are examples of such processes and it is here that GWP actively contributes both inside and outside the ‘water box’ at the global, regional, national and subnational levels.
The GWP Secretariat supports Regional Water Partnerships and Country Water Partnerships to carry out their work programmes, as well as to facilitate knowledge sharing across countries and regions. This support is delivered in the context of GWP’s three anchor areas within the new GWP Strategy 2020-2025:
1. Water Solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals
2. Climate Resilience through Water
3. Transboundary Water Cooperation
This internship offers an excellent opportunity for students interested in sustainable development and water governance to gain exposure to the operations of a network organization that extends from the global level to regional and national levels.
The intern will be part of the Network Operations unit as well as the Communications unit, working closely with the GWP Youth Engagement Speciailst and the Senior Communications Specialist. Assignments will include:
- Conduct a mapping exercise on youth organisations and activities related to water management within the GWP network
- Support the design and implementation of the Youth Water Academy through desktop research and engaging with the various regions and partners
- Assist in preparation of knowledge resources, concept notes, communications and background materials for internal and external use on youth engagement within GWP anchor areas
- Support partnership development and resource mobilization for youth projects
- Contribute to the design and implementation of webinars, workshops and various sessions
- Engage with the programmatic team in generating creative and innovative ideas to mainstream youth in ongoing work
- Undertake general administrative tasks, such meeting notes, power points and documentation Support and develop strategic plans for GWP’s social media platforms and create content such as collecting images and knowledge resources
- Support the strengthening of GWP’s knowledge sharing community and collaboration work in the Water ChangeMakers Community
- Support the planning for Regional Days, World Water Day and GWP’s 25th Anniversary.
- Draft key messages relevant for GWP’s activities that can be used in GWP’s online presence
- Support in measuring and analyzing analytics (social media and website)
Requirements, Qualifications and Terms
In addition to the information and requirements set out in the general GWP Internship Description (link below), applicants shall meet the following requirements:
- Interest in water resources management, any of GWP’s overall focus areas (particularly SDGs and/or youth), and/or other environmental sustainability issues.
- Knowledge of the 2030 Development Agenda and Íntegrated Water Resources Management is an advantage
- Meet all expenses for travel, insurance and any other expenses through financial support from their educational institution, government, scholarships or through personal Resources
Desired qualifications include:
- An excellent communicator in English, in writing and orally (other languages will be a plus)
- Good analytical skills
- Good organisational skills
- Comfortable with social media platforms
- Familiar with various design platforms, Canva, Photoshop etc
- Good interpersonal and multi-cultural communication skills
- Background in natural sciences, agriculture, development, or related fields, and an international perspective
- Experience working in youth organisations is a plus
- Demonstrated writing skills are a plus
Familiarize yourself with the full description and requirements of an internship with GWPO here: https://www.gwp.org/en/About/more/Vacancies-and-Internships/
Note: The Internship is based at the GWP Global Secretariat in Stockholm, Sweden. However, due to the current uncertain circumstances globally, amid the Covid-19 pandemic, the nature of the internship may be altered. The Internship may be carried out remotely, delays and/or cancellation may also occur. GWP will closely follow developments and notify long- and/or shortlisted candidates of any changes.
Interested students should submit their applications through the online application system latest by
13 December 2020.
Applications should include the following:
- Cover Letter with an introduction of the applicant
- Available start date
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview latest in mid-January.
Questions can be addressed to Internship@gwp.org (applications are not accepted via e-mail).