Post Doctoral Research Fellow
- Fixed Term 2 Years | Full Time | $89k +15.4% super
- Sutherland Shire | Work-life balance | Health & Wellbeing Programs
- Contribute to an emerging area of research working with industry
ANSTO leverages great science to deliver big outcomes. We partner with scientists and engineers and apply new technologies to provide real-world benefits. Our work improves human health, saves lives, builds our industries and protects the environment. ANSTO is the home of Australia’s most significant landmark and national infrastructure for research. Thousands of scientists from industry and academia benefit from gaining access to state-of-the-art instruments every year.
Nuclear Science & Technology and Landmark Infrastructure (NSTLI) incorporate ANSTO’s research, innovation, landmark research infrastructure and associated platforms and capabilities. NSTLI conducts research and development in relation to nuclear science and technology and connects people, transfers knowledge and provides nuclear-based products and services for the benefit of Australia.
NSTLI’s Research Portfolio undertakes world class applied and translational research utilising nuclear techniques to foster innovation in research and development programs to enhance ANSTO’s contribution to supporting a sustainable and healthier future for our planet and people everywhere. The Research Portfolio consists of research themes that define the broad subject areas of research with underlying research programs that are focussed activity groupings that contribute to the overall objectives of the research theme and also conducting research sub-programs within platforms. The Research Themes are Environment, Human Health and Nuclear Fuel Cycle.
The Environment research theme includes three programs:
(i) Water Resources Sustainability;
(ii) Contaminant Impacts;
(iii) Environmental Change. The programs inform, complement and reinforce each other and draw from ANSTO a broad range of capabilities and intrinsic strengths
About the position
The ANSTO Environment Research Theme is seeking a Post Doctoral Fellow with a science background and strong knowledge in chemistry, ecology and mathematical modelling. The role will seek to support the application of nuclear and non-nuclear technologies to food production, provenance and quality authentication. ANSTO has a growing program of industrial engagement and research into food provenance, production and aquatic environmental research and has established partnerships with Universities, government and industries in Australia and overseas. The project involves more utilising ANSTO’s broad expertise and methodologies, to optimise food production efficiency and sustainability, track its physical origin for safety and quality authentication purpose, and place ANSTO (and Australia) centre-stage in the utilisation of cutting-edge science for better, healthier and safer food. The position is expected to commence Jan/Feb 2021.
Note, this position will require working in general lab or field environments including radiation-classified areas and working with hazardous chemicals under tightly regulated safety conditions. All safety training and regular personal radiation monitoring will be provided by ANSTO.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to research and experimental programs and implement objectives, plans, targets and activities to complete several research projects on time
- Produce research of emerging international standard; publish reports and research outputs in refereed journals on the application of food provenance, quality authentication in agricultural systems; and participate in professional forums
- Sample collection, preparation and analysis at ANSTO labs, organising data, statistical analysis and working toward database development
- Assisting in management and reporting for research grants and commercial projects, and in seeking new funding opportunities
- Assisting in networking and communications including preparation of media releases/newsletters
- Undertake additional duties as required and during period of leave of other staff.
Skills and Experience
- PhD in Science, Food Science, Chemistry, Forensic Biology, Ecology or related discipline, publication track record commensurate with experience and opportunities
- Demonstrated lab-based skills in sample preparation and analysis using isotopic, elemental and non-nuclear techniques (Desirable)
- Demonstrated experience in higher level statistical analysis, database development and project management (Essential)
- Experience in effectively managing relationships and are able to work collaboratively with key stakeholders (Essential).
Why join ANSTO?
ANSTO employees are passionate about what they do. We enjoy being part of an organisation making a difference in the lives of Australians.
We support and reward our employees through eligibility for:
- Training, development and mentoring opportunities
- Performance based salary increases
- Work-life balance with generous leave entitlements and flexible conditions
Located in the Sutherland Shire, we have free onsite parking, a swimming pool, health and wellbeing programs and an onsite café.
If you want to join a world class organisation that’s making a difference in the lives of Australians, apply now!
For further technical information relating to this position please refer to the Position Information Package or contact Debashish Mazumder on (02) 9717 9219. For all other queries please contact the Recruitment Team on 9717 9715.
To be eligible for appointment, applicants will require a security and pre-employment medical assessment
Applications must be submitted online.