Job Number: 496173 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose for the Position:
Accountable for formulation, design, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of WASH programme to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives.
Key Accountabilities and Duties and Tasks:
1- Technical support to the Social Mobilisation activities in camps and host communities
- Provide technical support to Government and NGO partners on the planning, implementation and monitoring of social mobilisation activities relating to public health in camps and host communities, in addition to supporting the development of communication materials and kits and the implementation of the National WASH in Schools Standards. Support capacity building interventions including the identification of gaps, methodologies, training packages and materials.
2- Programme/project Planning, Development and Management.
- Enhance effective programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral, planning, development and management by leading, guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input.
- Ensure inclusion and delivery on sectoral leadership responsibilities including leadership and facilitation of the IASC WASH Cluster.
3- Knowledge Management.
- Promote knowledge management by exchange of knowledge, information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned; promote knowledge sharing and technical input or recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
4- Rights-Based Programme with Results-Based Approach.
- Promote the quality of rights-based WASH programme and programmes through participation in the formulation of programme/project goals, strategies and approaches. Bring coherence, synergy and added value to programme management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
5- Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring.
- Takes primary responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for project management, implementation and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined project strategies and approaches. Support maintenance of information system for monitoring gender/sex disaggregated data.
6- Programme Management, Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting.
- Ensure programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation. Participation in major evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Ensure the preparation of annual WASH sector status reports.
- Ensure adequate and transparent evaluation of emergency preparedness and response.
7- Promotion of UNICEF’s Global Goals
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and policy dialogue through active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes, and reference to the WASH strategy.
8- UNICEF and Government Accountability.
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
- Advocate for due attention and support to be given to environmental and sustainable development issues (pertaining to WASH) in all sectors and line Ministries.
- Ensure adequate attention is given to Disaster Risk Management, including emergency preparedness and response
9- Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership.
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy, social mobilization and emergency efforts.
- Overall coordination with WASH colleagues, Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Project, Programme and Emergency Officers to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of WASH programme or sectoral planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of WASH programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations. Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve WASH programme goals, including humanitarian response.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate:
- Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance. Sociology, Community Development or other human/development -focused studies would be a considered advantage.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization or national government, including at least two years of experience in the design and implementation of Social Mobilization/Hygiene Promotion/Public Health interventions (development of communication materials and approaches, KAP surveys etc)
- Experience transitioning from emergencies to resilience interventions a considered advantage
- Fluency in Arabic and English. Knowledge of another UN working language is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate:
- Communication [III]
- Working with People [II]
- Drive for Results [II] ii) Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising [I]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
- Relating and Networking [II]
- Persuading and Influencing [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Entrepreneurial Thinking [II]
1- Specific Technical Knowledge Required [II]
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF programmes.
- Communication for Development, Hygiene Education, Community Mobilization
- Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in the following areas: public health, communication for behavior change, WASH in schools, monitoring and evaluation
2- Common Technical Knowledge required [II]
- Knowledge of the latest theories, technology and practices in:
- Communicable diseases
General knowledge of:
- Methodology of programme/project management
- Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for sectoral programmes
- Knowledge of global human rights and gender issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNICEF position and approaches.
- UNICEF policies and strategy to address WASH issues, including those relating to conflicts, natural disasters, recovery, and disaster risk reduction and environment.
- Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of corporate office computer system applications and software, including LAN, email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, telecommunications.
- Knowledge of global environmental issues that pertain to sustainable development and specifically relation to children and woman, and the current UNICEF position approaches.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced [II]
- Government development plans and policies
- Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
- UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses, including the IASC Cluster approach.
- UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
- UN security operations and guidelines
- UNICEF financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
- UNICEF policies, strategies promoting and supporting gender equality and diversity.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 30 May 2016 Jordan Standard Time
Closing Date 8 Jun 2016 Jordan Standard Time