Specialist - Engineering and Implementation Support, Tamil Nadu Urban Sanitation Support Programme (TNUSSP)
About the TNUSSP
The Department of Municipal Administration and Water Supply, Government of Tamil Nadu Municipal (MAWS, GoTN) aims at scaling up access to safe and sustainable sanitation to all its urban areas in the next five years. Tamil Nadu will be poised to becoming a fully sanitised and healthy state, substantially eliminating open defecation, achieving improvements through the entire sanitation value chain, safely disposing an increasing proportion of its human excreta, and re-using/ recovering resources therefrom. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) is supporting GoTN to achieve the Sanitation Mission of Tamil Nadu. This support shall enable the GoTN in investing resources towards innovative solutions to achieve mission goals.
A Technical Support Unit (TSU) has been set up to be the comprehensive technical arm for the MAWS-GoTN, and assists in implementation of state-level and city-level initiatives, based on agreed parameters. In addition, two sub-TSUs have been set up in two select urban locations.
IIHS is supporting the Government of Tamil Nadu, and is the lead agency for implementation of the TNUSSP.
The Practice Team at IIHS is responsible for providing cutting-edge and integrated solutions to India’s urban development challenges by bringing together faculty and experts across diverse domains of knowledge and practice; exposing learners to real-life problems and integrating the practice into academics and research.
The Specialist – Engineering and Implementation Support will be responsible for delivery of the proposed programme components related to fecal sludge and wastewater treatment and reuse, co-ordination of the programme’s projects and management of their inter-dependencies.
This could be a regular position or a contractual project-based engagement. The position will be located in the Practice Team at IIHS based out of Chennai, with travel as necessary to other locations in the state and country.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities of the position would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Supporting the scaling up of various engineering and technology options along the sanitation chain, particularly for treatment, re-use and containment by reviewing innovative technologies, conducting feasibility assessments for implementation, and supporting in implementation;
- Understanding and assessment of reuse practices and markets, regulations and risks;
- Developing options for institutionalising of above technologies at the ULB and state level;
- Anchoring reuse implementation support and pilots at key urban locations.
In addition, programme management activities in this role include:
- Planning and coordinating programme activities and monitoring progress, resolving issues and initiating appropriate corrective action;
- Effective co-ordination of the various sites and activities within the programme, teams and work plans, and management of their inter-dependencies;
- Ensuring effective quality assurance of the programme outputs;
- Managing key stakeholders such as donors, government, partners etc.;
- Reporting the progress of the programme at regular intervals to internal and external stakeholders.
Structure and Reporting
The Specialist – Engineering and Implementation Support, TNUSSP will report to the Co-Team Leader, TNUSSP at IIHS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations, and students.
Applicants must have a degree in engineering, and preferably a post graduate degree in management; 7-10 years of relevant experience is required. The candidate should have a demonstrable track record of having worked in development programmes in the areas of sanitation, particularly FSM, in close association with the government. S/he should also have experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams and interfacing with government and donor agencies; possess good communication, advocacy, people management and coordination skills; and proficiency in MS project management.
Reading and writing skills in Tamil and English are essential, and preference will be given to candidates who have experience working with the government in South Indian states.
This offer could be either for a regular position or for a contractual project-based engagement. This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
The position is based in Chennai, with frequent travelling to other locations in Tamil Nadu.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the candidate shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
The IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at email@example.com if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form