Environmental Policy Fellow
Ohio’s environmental movement is seeking its next generation of environmental advocates, representing the diversity of perspectives, geographical locations, and backgrounds from across the state, especially those from communities most impacted by pollution. Therefore, the Ohio Environmental Council seeks candidates for its Environmental Policy Fellowship—a full-time, temporary, entry-level position for up to 2 years. This position is designed specifically to include and uplift the talents of an entry-level professional from communities and backgrounds often left out of the environmental movement.
Job Responsibilities & Performance Expectations
As the Environmental Policy Fellow, you will be a member of the OEC’s Advocacy Center, advancing the organization’s mission to secure healthy air, land, water, and a strong democracy for all who call Ohio home. This position is an opportunity to keenly develop skills as a policy advocate for the betterment of the Buckeye State. At the conclusion of the program, you will have the skills and experience to join any team searching for an effective advocate. Additionally, you will work closely with OEC Leadership, OEC staff, and our Board of Directors around our racial justice and equity goals, participate in the OEC’s fundraising, communications, organizing, and administrative work to gain a complete understanding of public interest non-profit organization operations to ultimately achieve the organization’s strategic plan goals.
The Fellow’s daily responsibilities will also include:
- evaluating and analyzing legislation and executive agency rules and regulations;
- reaching out to, and collaborating with, partner organizations;
- drafting advocacy content, including position statements or blogs;
- representing the organization at public meetings, legislative and agency hearings; and
- contributing to OEC’s efforts to integrate racial justice and equity into the work we do to ensure a more inclusive environmental movement in Ohio.
- Performing other related duties as required and assigned.
- Required Work Experience: This is an entry-level position
- Additional Skills: Well-organized; hard-working; thorough & detail-oriented; demonstrate the ability to answer research questions efficiently and with precision; understand how to work independently and in a team; and manage multiple projects at once while delivering quality results. Possess the initiative and skills required to become a policy expert and representative of the organization.
- Required Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Furthermore, we’re looking for candidates with strong listening skills and an ability to handle interpersonal relationships with grace and empathy.
- Preferred qualifications: You have an interest in environmental issues and social justice. Nonprofit advocacy experience is a plus. Experience in a fast-paced campaign environment is a plus.
Pay for this full-time, temporary position is $36,774 annually. We have an excellent benefits package which include employer-paid health, vision, dental, and life insurance; flexible and dependent care spending account; generous paid time off; paid parental leave; and employer-matched retirement fund.
This is a Columbus-based position working in our Columbus office. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, our staff are working remotely and will be expected to work from the office and resume in-person meetings and travel when it is safe to do so. You will report to our General Counsel and work closely with our Chief of Staff, Managing Director of Water Policy, Vice President of Energy Policy, and Staff Attorney as well as our DEI committee.
The Fellow must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends, and be willing to occasionally travel throughout Ohio when travel resumes.
About the OEC & Our Team:
The mission of the Ohio Environmental Council is to secure healthy air, land, and water for all who call Ohio home. We work for pragmatic solutions to keep Ohio clean and beautiful, and our communities safe. Included in our values is a belief in bringing diverse people together for a shared purpose, forging strategic partnerships to strengthen Ohio’s environmental movement, and honoring community leadership. And we work to understand and remedy both current and historical environmental injustice caused by oppressive practices harming Ohioans and meaningfully supports our partners and the communities they represent. Please visit the OEC’s website to learn more about our vision, values, and work.
Our team is made up of 27 staff, 20 board members, and a number of interns and volunteers who come from a variety of backgrounds, including state government, social justice and environmental organizations, law firms, and from all corners of the state. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people from all backgrounds, including women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and all religious backgrounds.
The Ohio Environmental Council is committed to working toward a just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive environmental movement, and seeks to hire staff and contractors that reflect the diverse communities and perspectives that comprise Ohio. The OEC is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for the position, your resume, and references to with “Environmental Policy Fellow” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until filled.