Start Date: Open until filled
Position Location: Remote
Hours: Full – Time
Georgia River Network (GRN) seeks a Communications & Social Media Coordinator as part of our team working to protect and restore rivers and streams across Georgia.
Who We Are:
Georgia River Network works to ensure a clean water legacy in Georgia by engaging and empowering Georgians to protect and restore our rivers from the mountains to the coast.
Together with our supporters, board, staff, and network we work to protect and restore Georgia’s rivers by engaging more people in their protection, empowering Georgia’s network of 30+ groups working to protect our waterways, and advocating for strong protections for Georgia’s rivers, streams and lakes. Visit our website www.garivers.org to learn more about what we do and how we do it.
Our culture is collaborative, hard-working, and impact and results driven. We believe in planning for our future and working our plans. We provide our staff with competitive salaries, a generous vacation policy, medical, vision, and life insurance, and a matching 401k retirement plan. We strive toward a sustainable work environment where attention is paid to balancing dedication to our work with other aspects of life.
Our board is hard working and engaged, bringing an amazing variety of talents, skills, and connections that greatly impact our success.
Who we are looking for:
A dedicated team member who believes in our mission and enjoys our work. The Communications Coordinator collaborates with staff and partners to promote the conservation action, public education, and other goals of the organization through the development, coordination, and implementation of messages and through outreach to the general public, membership, and donors.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing, implementing and coordinating communications for advocacy, marketing and development for the full range of conservation action campaigns, public education projects, and other activities, including fundraising.
The job we need you to do may include:
- Coordinate Georgia River Network’s Communications:
- Social Media Coordination – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Develop publications, newsletters, fact sheets and other communication materials for conservation action and development campaigns.
- Support media engagement for promoting GRN and our work. Cultivates relations with reporters, editorial boards and seeks their support for initiatives and positions. Writes and releases statements to the media on all appropriate topics, including opinion pieces for chapter staff and volunteers. Develops and updates media lists.
- Provide support for member communications, media relations, marketing.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned, including support of member engagement events and river trips.
- Provide regular, fresh, engaging content and interaction on our website, newsletters (Confluence, NewsStream and WaterTrails), social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, You Tube), blogs, and print communications (quarterly print newsletter, brochures, event flyers and digital ads)
- Produce our Confluence monthly e-newsletter and quarterly full print newsletter
- Coordinate production of our Annual Report at the end of the year
- Promote our events with print and digital flyers, social media promotion, newsletter articles, media releases, Patagonia Action Works and other places to post events
- Update website content and calendars
- Track statistics on all GRN communications
- Oversee consistent and uniform use of our branding
- Event tabling and preparation of materials to go to events to market grn
- Respond to information requests
- Assist the Executive Director with donor and sponsor relations and communication
- Volunteer recruitment postings at UGA kept up to date
- Assist Georgia Water Coalition communications committee and assistance with press and social media etc
- Square Up store for merchandise kept up to date
- Online directory of groups – maintain current contact info and solicit changes annually
- Auction organization as needed
- Assist with renewal mailings and appeals
- Email List maintenance in Vertical Response
- Graphic design
- Grant assistance as needed
The Communications Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director.
What qualifies you for the job:
- Expertise, experience, traits and skills matching many of the job responsibilities, proficiencies, and attributes listed above
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, and Power Point; social media programs including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and You Tube; and working knowledge of Adobe programs, WordPress, Vertical Response and Donor Perfect is a plus.
- Graphic design proficiency.
- Ability and willingness to regularly work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- Enthusiasm and passion for protecting and restoring Georgia’s rivers.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with others.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Orientation towards service.
- Basic understanding of watershed protection issues and non-profit organizations is helpful.
- Ability to conduct complete and thorough research.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Two to three years experience in communications or development or closely related field.
- Strong oral, excellent editing and written communications skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computer software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, e-mail, and Google Docs, video editing and production software. Understanding of graphic design software.
- Demonstrated familiarity with conservation and environmental topics, issues, and literature.
- Proficiency in social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flicker, MeetUp, and knowledge of WordPress website design editing.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff and volunteers.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
Compensation: $30,000-$38,000, commensurate with experience; a generous vacation policy; medical, vision, and life insurance; and a matching 401k retirement plan.
Application Procedures: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and samples of relevant work products demonstrating how your traits, expertise, experience, and skills match the job responsibilities and qualifications. Please submit application materials electronically to Dana Skelton, Director of Operations and Advocacy, email@example.com. No calls, please.
Our Non-Discrimination Policy: Georgia River Network is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, political affiliation, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or age.