Job Number: 496136 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Representative, accountable for the development, design, planning, implementation and management of the WASH programme within the country programme.
As head of section, direct, lead and manage a group of professional and support staff to develop, manage and administer the WASH programme, in a convergent and inter-UN agency decentralized programming context.
Key Expected Results
1. Programme/project Planning, Development and Management
- Manage effectively WASH programme planning, development and management by supervising, coordinating, or supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis and the timely preparation or finalization and submission of the sectoral input.
- Monitor developments at the international, regional and provincial levels; develop methodologies and new approaches for improving WASH programme effectiveness.
- Provide seasoned technical recommendations and advice on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
- Ensure inclusion and delivery on WASH leadership responsibilities including leadership and facilitation of the IASC WASH Cluster.
2. Promotion of UNICEF Global Goals
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and policy dialogue in the WASH sector through active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes, and with reference to the WASH Strategy.
3. Knowledge Management.
- Promote knowledge management by exchange of knowledge, information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned; promote knowledge sharing and technical input or recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country. Ensure the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
- Monitor developments at the international, regional and provincial levels; develops methodologies and new approaches for improving programme effectiveness. Participate in programme workshops and consultations at the regional and country levels to exchange knowledge, ideas, and approaches.
4. Rights-Based Programme with Results-Based Approach
- Promote the quality of rights-based WASH projects and programmes through the formulation of programme goals and strategies and approaches. Bring coherence, synergy and added value to programme management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation and monitoring.
5. Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring.
- As head of a large section, responsible for the overall development and establishment of the sectoral work plan, monitoring compliance, and providing support and guidance to make sure objectives are met.
- This entails identification of internal human resource requirements, training and performance planning and monitoring and provision of training, support and guidance to the WASH team. As a member of Senior Management, advise Deputy Representative on appropriate training and professional development opportunities for WASH staff.
6. Programme Management, Delivery and Reporting.
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction for programme management of the WASH programme through periodic meetings, individually and in groups, with the various sectoral team members. Ensure exchanges of information, experience, identifing new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve programme requirements and objectives. Monitor the overall planning and disbursement of programme funds for the (sector), ensuring they are properly administered, and utilized in accordance with the Plan of Action and the programme budget allotment.
- Ensure programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to assessment. In coordination and collaboration with other professional colleagues, establish and develop effective information and reporting systems to monitor and evaluate the impact of the programme and achievement of targeted goals. Conduct field assessment visits for evaluating programme effectiveness, identifying problems and instituting remedial measures. Participate in evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts.
- Ensure adequate and transparent evaluation of emergency preparedness and response.
7. UNICEF and Government Accountability
- Coordinate with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Approves disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines. Monitors the overall planning and disbursement of programme funds for the WASH programme, ensuring they are properly administered, and utilized in accordance with the Plan of Action and the programme budget allotment.
- Prepare and submit timely progress/status reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme monitoring, annual reports, etc.
- Advocate for due attention and support to be given to environmental issues and sustainable development (pertaining to WASH) in all sectors and line ministries.
- Ensure adequate attention is given to Disaster Risk Management, including emergency preparedness and response.
8. Advocacy, Communication, Upstream Policy advice, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership.
- Provide technical and policy advice to the Representative/Deputy Representative on WASH programme or sectoral strategies, planning and implementation; provide interpretation of guidelines and organizational policy, contributing to the development of new guidelines through the programme cycle.
- Ensure exchange of information, experience, identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve WASH programme requirements and objectives.
- Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and collect information. Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners. Provide authoritative advice/guidance/interpretation of programme policy and guidelines.
- Collaborate with Communication for Development Officer to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts.
- Coordinate with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Project or Programme Officers to ensure the integration of the WASH programme with other sectors.
- Collaborate with the Operations Section and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of WASH programme or sectoral planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of WASH programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations and agreements. Provide technical support, orientation and guidance to government officials, technicians and partners on appropriate technical and institutional capacity-building measures, to achieve programme goals and expand coverage of services.
- Ensure provision of sectoral orientation on the ‘Cluster Approach,’ and ensure leadership and coordination of the IASC WASH Cluster through preparedness and emergency response, whilst simultaneously ensuring delivery on the CCCs by the UNICEF WASH programme.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree (minimum Master’s degree level) in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- Additional training in Health Education, Communication for Development, Social Sciences an asset.
- Ten years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN and/or other international development organization, national government or the private sector in a related field. Proven ability to manage large programmes with emphasis on strategic planning including staffing and budgets, with clear results.
- Field work experience.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach preferable.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station and/or another UN language is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication – Level III
- Working with People – Level III
- Drive for Results – Level III
- Leading and Supervising – Level III
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Level III
- Analyzing – Level III
- Relating and Networking – Level III
- Persuading and Influencing – Level II
- Creating and Innovating – Level II
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 26 May 2016 Bangladesh Standard Time
Closing Date 10 Jun 2016 Bangladesh Standard Time