PostDoctoral Researcher for climate services
Job title: PostDoctoral Researcher for climate services (R2)
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 650 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
The aim of the Earth System Services Group (ESS) within the Earth Sciences Department is to research the impact of weather, atmospheric chemistry and climate upon socio-economic sectors such as renewable energy, agriculture, water management, forest fires and urban development and demonstrate the ongoing value of earth system services to society and the economy.
Within this contest, we are looking for a climate scientist to work in on the development of sub-seasonal to seasonal climate service products for sectors such as renewable energy, agriculture or water management.
The person appointed will be involved in different EU and national-funded projects, with the aim of developing climate services at different time-scales from sub-seasonal to decadal. The selected candidate will work with the state-of-the-art climate predictions to obtain relevant climate indicators for the aforementioned sectors at both global and local spatial scales. His/her activity will be positioned within the context of WMO’s Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS), whose aim is to advance climate predictions to provide actionable sub-seasonal to decadal climate information to key sectors of society. This position therefore presents the opportunity to work alongside a wide range of leading international climate scientists delivering cutting-edge climate science and climate services across Europe. The position holder will enjoy joining one of the leading and most dynamic European groups in the field of climate services.
Successful candidates will benefit from expert training and BSC-CNS staff benefits: international multidisciplinary scientific environment and advanced applied research training. We encourage applications from highly motivated candidates with demonstrated experience in climate science and interest in applied research projects within the context of climate services.
- Perform user-oriented research, understand user needs and facilitate technology transfer
- Actively participate in the management of work packages in EU projects (participate in teleconferences workshops, meetings and writing deliverables)
- Disseminate the results in peer-reviewed scientific papers and international conferences
- Team work: Interaction with scientists in the group and the department to favor synergies
- Apply for competitive grants and projects
- Coordinate climate services related activities
- Active involvement in the engagement with users within the climate services context
- Having a Degree in Physics, Enviromental Sciences, Mathematics (or equivalent)
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Ph.D. in atmospheric sciences, applied statistics or related field
- Experience handling, analysing and validating large climate model datasets
- Experience with climatic statistical analyses
- Proficiency in scientific programming in a suitable language (e.g. R, Python, Matlab) and familiarity with working in a UNIX environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, especially for scientific publications
- Ability to work in a professional environment within a multidisciplinary and international team
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience working with sub-seasonal, seasonal or decadal climate predictions / climate change projections
- Experience working with climate extreme indices or bioclimatic indicators
- Experience in developing tailored indicators to specific sectors, such as energy, agriculture, water management or forest fires
- Knowledge on some of the following topics: statistical downscaling, multi-model combination techniques, bias adjustments techniques or tropical/extratropical teleconnections will be positively evaluated
- Experience in energy/agriculture/water management companies and consultancy companies
- Problem-solving, pro-active, result-oriented work attitude
- Capability to work in an international and fast-paced work
- Good communication skills
- The position will be located at BSC within the Earth Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - Until 30/06/2022 renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: 01/12/2020
All applications must include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.