Local recruitment: Advisor (Smart Water Solutions)
SNV Netherlands Development Organization is a not-for-profit international development organizational founded in the Netherlands in 1965; and currently maintains a global presence in 30 countries;across Africa, Asia and Latin America. SNV has been present in Uganda since 1989 and currently undertakes donor funded programming within 100+ districts across the country. As an organisation, SNV focuses on the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors and maintains the belief that no one should have to live in poverty; and that all people should have the opportunity to pursue their own sustainable development. SNV contributes to programming within the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors by strengthening the capacities of targeted partners and communities at the field level; in order to realize increased skill sets and sustainable performance; reduce poverty levels, expand employment; improve food security; while paying special attention to gender equity, social inclusion of marginalized groups and stakeholder accountability
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation as the lead agency of the SDC-Cambodia Horticulture Project Advancing Income and Nutrition (CHAIN). CHAIN supports female and male smallholder farmers (including ethnic minorities, where present) in increasing sustainable production, income and resilience in four provinces Kratie, Stung Treng, Preah Vihear and Oddar Meanchey. The project facilitates the empowering of rural smallholder producer groups in the market system, while working on the market development of local safe vegetables with other market actors.
Water management is one of the main constraints for farmers to scale up their horticulture activities. Many farmers face challenges with water access and water management throughout the year but especially in the dry season, from January to June. The farms in the provinces are in highland, lowland and riverbank areas affected differently. Areas near riverbanks of Kratie and Stung Treng provinces are flooded annually during the rainy season in Sep-Oct and most arable land is too wet to grow vegetables; lowland and highland areas of Oddar Meanchey and Preah Vihear are subject to annual droughts from Jan/Feb to Apr/May with reduced water availability for vegetable production and sometime flash flood from Aug-Oct.
CHAIN is in the process of pilot the farmer lead irrigation/smart water solution in Preah Vihear province that would be scale up in CHAIN3. The business model of scale up will go through the district authority, PDAFF and GDA working together in share plan to support farmers in term of water storage, water availability and technical advice.
The lead of intervention will work under direct guidance of MetaMeta experts (Based in the Netherlands) to coordinates and supports the Smart Water service delivery and access to technologies, through private sector and provides input to provincial and national platforms.
Leads the technical and facilitation of district water resource and demand management and planning processes. Supports development towards a road map.
- Leads the Climate Smart Technology and Smart Water interventions.
- Work in coordination with Dutch organization specializing in water management
- Coordinates and supports the Smart Water service delivery and access to technologies, through private sector.
- Works with PDAFFs and General Directorate of Agriculture (GDA) to organise and ensure quality of provincial and national learning platforms.
- Builds capacities and development guidelines for Smart Water platforms
- Ensures quality smart water technologies pilot implementation with private and public sector
- Ensures appropriate SW service providers involvement in Rural Agribusiness Accelerator programme
- Ensures promotion of SW services and technologies in lead-farmer incubator, cluster development, provincial strategic planning
- Leads the technical and facilitation of district water resource and demand management and planning processes.
- Facilitates the development of 4 water management pilots at district level
- Supports development of recommendation towards a road maps at district level.
- Links the district, provincial and national actors
- Contribute to and participate in MRM meetings.
- Contribute to the development of Annual Operational Plan (AOP), project reports
- University Degree in Agriculture or related field
- At least five years’ of experience in relevant field
- Good communication and writing skills in English
- Good computer-based data analyses skills, minimum fluent in MSOffice.
- Willingness to travel extensively to project regions
- Team work, good coordination and communication
- Practical knowledge on small scale irrigation technologies and conservation methods including the hands-on training and coaching skills to use the technology in the field
- Educational background at MSc level in agricultural, water and irrigation engineering with work experience in development of irrigated agriculture at farm level (Agronomy), especially the horticulture crops with affordable water access technology;
- Understanding of the importance of and processes in farmer-led, participatory, irrigated agricultural development and experience in using such approach is an advantage;
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic to work on this topic.
Contract Type: Local (open to Cambodian nationals only)
Contract Duration: 17 Months
Expected Start Date: January 2021-July 2022
How to Apply
We invite you to apply by submitting your CV and a short letter of motivation (one page). Please include in CV all relevant positions, employers, and start and end dates of employment.
Applications are due by November 30th, 2020
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted
We do not accept third-party mediation based on this advertisement. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of solicitation by phone or other means will be treated as disqualification of the candidate. SNV is an equal opportunity employer.