Afghanistan nationals: National Environment Consultant
Result of Service
This project focuses on the drafting of Afghanistan's first National Environment Policy (NEP), which has already benefited from a 'preparation phase' supported by UNEP. Policy development will emphasise an inclusive and participatory approach.
1 January 2021-31 July 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
With UNEP support, The Government of The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan have drafted an innovative Environment Sector Vision, comprising seven priorities: 1: Manage climate change; 2: Maintain healthy and productive ecosystems; 3: Equitable natural resource management; 4: Manage pollution and waste; 5: Build resilience to conflict and disaster risks; 6: Support a green economy; and 7: Cross Cutting – international commitments, inclusive implementation and gender equity.
The objective of the consultancy is to assist the development of a draft National Environment Policy that will make a real impact in the country’s complex setting.
Specific responsibilities per outputs:
1. Provide environmental expertise to NEPA, who will finalise and manage agreement on a multi-stakeholder Action Plan, which incorporates agreed recommendations, workplan and timelines to draft a National Environment Policy
2. Coordinate all input and support provided to the drafting of the NEP
3. Coordinate input and multi-stakeholder contributions to the development of a communication strategy
4. Monitor and report on the implementation of an Action Plan that is guiding the development of the NEP, and the implementation of a NEP communication strategy
5. Provide technical and coordination expertise in the preparation of 6 regional and one national Government and partner consultations as well as community and participatory regional consultations as requested
6. Facilitate in-country stakeholders’ input into the NEP in terms of policy dialogue and content, research, partnerships, policy alignment and coherency
Academic Qualifications: Master’s degree in environmental policy, environmental management or other relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years of working experience in environmental management, policy development and design, national-level capacity development, and/or a related field.
- Excellent understanding of the environment sector in Afghanistan and the work of NEPA, UNEP and UNDP.
- At least 3 years of experience working at national level in Afghanistan, and providing environmental expertise and advice
Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto is required.