Kenya nationals: Water Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Technical Manager
Job Title : Water Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Technical Manager
Reporting to : Program Effectiveness & Impact Director
Grade Level : 17
Work Location : Nairobi
Purpose of Position
Provide overall WASH leadership for the national office, ensuring alignment with regional and global Technical Sector strategies, to include advocacy, MEAL and integration with other Technical Programs and functional areas. Provides guidance to field staff for quality Technical Sector programming implementation. Determines National Office WASH Sector capacity gaps and develop capacity building plan with regional assistance. Seeks opportunities for WASH Sector implementation research, and communicates learnings from programming. Maps donors, understands their technical expectations, pre-positions the National Office for grants bids and leads the design and development of proposals. Strong and regular external engagement with Technical Sector stakeholders in the country. Maintains situation awareness of potential emergencies and ensures readiness for sector response.
Technical Leadership and management 30%
- Provide leadership in the designing and adaptation of the WASH sector under Integrated Health and WASH Technical Program
- Advise on implementation of approved WASH project models
- Accountable to assess and track quality of implementation and alignment to standards, government policies and TP/DIP plans.
- Conduct activities to assess quality in the field, solicit community and stakeholder feedback
- In collaboration with the finance unit, ensure planning and budgeting, project funding, expenditures and process are aligned and operating smoothly
Monitoring, Accountability and Innovation 20%
- Work with the MEAL function to ensure quality programming, innovative designs, monitoring, evaluation, reflection, learning and reporting of all projects in the WASH program
- Promote research, documentation and scaling up of best practices
- Ensure the development of the WASH capacity to focus strategically on initiatives which generate high quality programing leading to measurable and sustainable development
- Ensure proper management and stewardship of donor and organizational resources
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as Peer Review, Operational and Finance Audits, Program evaluations, Program Capability Review, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner
- Develop departmental risk register, ensure its implementation to mitigate risks and ensure accountability
- Monitor the implementation of WASH audit recommendations
Donor engagement and fund raising 15%
- Raise local resources for WASH
- Develop proposals for WASH grants
- Track accountability to WASH specific grants
- Provide support to RAM in responding to appropriate request for applications for bilateral and multilateral sources in coordination with relevant SOs and management of grant funded program
Collaboration and advocacy 15%
- Develop and maintain a national level Stakeholder Register, (that include Strategic Government Departments, Development Partners, Private Sector, Faith Based Organizations, Civil Society Organizations)
- Networking with national WASH stakeholders
- Representing NO at sector-related forums
- Attending regional, national and local meetings as appropriate
Staff capacity development and performance management 15%
- Model a high standard of personal Christian leadership, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships that support spiritual development of the team.
- In close collaboration with P&C, ensure right program staff are recruited, retained, and provided with intentional opportunities, mentored and coached for development.
- Assess and plan for staff capacities/competencies.
- Engage appropriate SMEs for identified training gaps
- Facilitate capacity building of staff on technical modules, through trainings, workshops, OJT, technical backstopping etc.
- Staff supervision and guidance to ensure overall quality and comprehensive management of technical program
Safeguarding and Faith & Development integration 5%
- Ensuring alignment to safeguarding of program activities
- Support Faith & Development integration
- Ensure safeguarding training and orientation for all sector partners including community level
Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- First degree in Engineering in Water, Civil, Agricultural, or soil and water engineering or closely related fields
- Masters’ degree in Public Health, Social Science, Water Resource Management, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience of progressive leadership in WASH programs with a thorough understanding of all areas of project management cycles in a complex, international development organization especially in development and Relief Projects. 5 years should have been at a managerial level.
- Experience in Monitoring and evaluation
- Experience working with an international NGO in the sector of WASH
- Licensing with Engineers Board of Kenya
- Training or certification in integrated water resources management, behaviour change, market-based solutions, and other WASH areas (documented experience alternately accepted)