TITLE: Senior Writer
CLASSIFICATION: Director I
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Communications
LOCATION: Washington, DC Headquarters
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 250,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
The Senior Writer is an accomplished communicator with broad-based responsibilities for conceptualizing, writing and editing clear, positive content about American Rivers in print and online. In addition, the position coordinates the production and printing of materials and interacts with the fundraising and communications teams to identify and produce collateral support materials.
Working closely with the Senior Director of Communications, the Senior Writer is the principal architect of a suite of communications to deepen relationships with donors and other stakeholders as well as establish relationships that broaden the overall scope of support for American Rivers. In concert with Advancement priorities, the position interacts with staff and leadership across the organization and with donors to gather facts and stories that inform the development of compelling copy. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a talented, high-energy team of professionals who are making a difference in the field of conservation.
Writing and Editing
- Help develop a cost-effective communications strategy based on specific audience profiles and objectives for print, electronic and web communications.
- Produce content from concept formation to writing, including, but not limited to, impact reports, blogs, newsletters and the annual report.
- Edit and proofread content written by colleagues or freelance writers to ensure high-quality writing as well as consistency with the organization’s messages and style.
- Originate persuasive written communication for use in stewardship, most frequently on behalf of the Development division and President/CEO.
- Identify and recruit appropriate staff, leadership volunteers, and/or donors as information sources and interview subjects.
Project Management and Production
- Coordinate production of effective, strategic philanthropic fundraising materials that articulate the organization’s mission and impact.
- Develop production schedules, set and meet deadlines, complete projects on time and on budget. Coordinate timely reviews by appropriate staff members, ranging from program staff to the President/CEO.
- Work with printers, graphic designers, photographers, freelancers and other external suppliers/contacts to develop creative and manage the production of materials. Initiate and oversee annual contracts.
- Oversee the development of all large design projects by contract designers and other vendors
- Design and execute smaller, in-house projects, including invitations and online graphics to support fundraising, social media and action campaigns.
- Work collaboratively with staff and vendors to translate the organization’s needs into innovative, powerful design solutions.
- Provide final check and approval for all materials. Ensure materials follow organization’s style guide.
- Stay current with copyright rules as well as trends and best practices in the field, related to philanthropic communications in particular.
Systems and Budgeting
- Develop and manage annual budget including monitoring expenses and identifying any budgetary implications.
- Maintain comprehensive, accurate, up-to-date files and records, including inventory of printed communications and managing reprints as required.
- Recommend changes to the annual plan based on results and ongoing review of collateral.
- Participate in the creation of annual Communications plan and individual annual work plan.
- Enthusiastically participate in department meetings, organization-wide meetings and activities and staff committees.
- Perform other duties and special projects in support of the Advancement division, as needed.
REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
- Advanced degree in a related major such as journalism, English, or communications; or appropriate combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of five years of professional writing experience at a knowledge-rich organization.
- Demonstrated skill in writing compelling and persuasive copy for print, digital and social media platforms.
- Experience managing production of publications.
- Exceptional interviewing, editing, fact-checking and proofreading skills.
- Experience managing relationships and project deliverables that include integration with third-party vendors including printers, graphic designers, illustrators and photographers.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, and to produce polished content under tight deadlines.
- Highly organized, resourceful and proactive. Proven ability to anticipate needs and take initiative.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and good sense of humor. Ability to work well with colleagues in different offices and time zones.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; experience with InDesign, PhotoShop, and Adobe Lightroom a plus.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of American Rivers.
- Prefer a candidate with some knowledge of and interest in conservation issues.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Please send resume and attach 1) a cover letter addressing required qualifications, and 2) two work samples to: [email protected] with “Senior Writer” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.