Somalia nationals: WASH Officer
The WASH Officer will be responsible for the need’s assessment and implementation of water, environmental sanitation, and hygiene promotion activities in the operation area. He/she will also be in charge as assigned to him/her by the WASH coordinator all the environmental health activities in target communities and within the health facilities managed by the IRC in the program area. Additionally, this position will support development of staff/hygiene promotion volunteers and ensure implementation is done in close collaboration with program staff, the local community, the Local authority, and other relevant agencies.
Assessment and mobilization
- Conduct field-based needs assessments and consolidate the information for planning and implementing Environmental Health project activities in Somalia.
- Translate field assessment findings into feasible and relevant project proposals
- Consolidate community proposals and share with WASH coordinator for response planning
- Mobilize community members to actively participate in environmental health interventions.
- Design appropriate sanitation facilities for the target communities and the health facilities.
- Design and implement a context specific health promotion strategy for the operation area.
- Implement appropriate environmental health requirements, waste management, safe water supply and hygiene promotion, in IRC facilities.
- Develop and implement a monitoring plan for all environmental health activities in jurisdiction.
- Identify forums for community involvement in monitoring of environmental health activities
- Integrate environmental health into primary health care activities
Supervision and Training
- Directly supervise the WASH assistant(s) and Community Volunteers
- Develop and implement capacity building plans for WASH assistant(s) and community volunteers.
- Develop and implement context specific training guides on hygiene promotion for community volunteers.
- Provide timely reports on the field trips, monitoring visits and assessments to the Senior WASH officer.
- Compile weekly, monthly, and other circumstantial reports as may be required, including donor reports.
- Degree/Diploma with 7 years of working experience in the field of public health or environmental health or other related disciplines; plus, relevant work experience in community water, Sanitation, and hygiene programs for displaced populations.
- Be able to use a wide variety of software, including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of water and sanitation projects. Possibly experience in social work and / or humanitarian assistance.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
- Fluency in English, oral and written with strong report writing skills.
Standard of Professional Conduct
IRC and IRC employees are required to abide by the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct which are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Are you ready to join the most dynamic team?