Chief of Party (WASH Research and Learning)
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
IBTCI seeks qualified candidates for a Chief of Party (COP) for an upcoming USAID-funded global project, WASH Research and Learning. The project will address critical knowledge and learning gaps related to achieving USAID’s goal of increasing the availability and sustainable management of safe water and sanitation for the underserved and most vulnerable. The Chief of Party will lead the project and is responsible for achieving the project’s vision and strategy, directing the project technical team, and managing critical relationships with national and international partners and other key stakeholders. The Chief of Party has overall programmatic and fiscal responsibility for the project, including achieving project results, effectively communicating accomplishments, and ensuring compliance with all US government and IBTCI regulations. The Chief of Party will be a recognized leader in water and sanitation with expertise and experience in both implementation science and/or applied research, and experience working in WASH programs, preferably in a leadership role. This position is contingent upon award.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute overall project strategy and work plan and achievement of project results
- Direct and monitor implementation of activities within the work plan, ensuring that activities are performed to a high professional standard, effectively implemented, and fulfilling donor and IBTCI’s requirements
- Maintain relationships with USAID/Washington and USAID Missions, national and international partners, and other key stakeholders through frequent consultation
- Ensure that all program deliverables are of high quality and met in a timely fashion
- Ensure and oversee a clear technical strategy for the project and guarantee that technical excellence permeates all project activities
- Provide managerial oversight to ensure compliance with all donor- related, IBTCI, and program-specific policies and regulations
- Supervise and mentor all senior management staff
- Ensure effective communication across the entire project with team and relevant stakeholders
- Participate in international research networks, meetings, and select technical working groups as appropriate to represent the project and ensure collaboration with relevant technical work
- Identify existing implementation platforms that can be leveraged for applied research and/or implementation science, negotiate appropriate partnership roles to facilitate such collaborations, and mobilize resources both from USAID Missions and additional donors
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience as a Chief of Party and/or Project Director for a USAID activity
- At least 15 years of experience in WASH, with demonstrated project management responsibility
- 10+ years of senior-level experience in managing USAID-funded large and complex WASH research and research utilization projects preferred
- Recognized technical skills in implementation science or applied research and WASH
- Demonstrated ability to foster and maintain collaborative partnership arrangements through both formal, financial relationships (e.g. prime and sub relationship) and non-financial, cost-shared models
- Demonstrated donor management skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of USAID policies and programs
- Demonstrated strategic planning, team leadership, and capacity building experience
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope
- Excellent management, communication, and organization skills are required
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; French language skills are a plus
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous experience as a Chief of Party and/or Project Director for a USAID activity implemented across multiple countries
- Strong expertise implementing or researching WASH technical areas, especially in the policy, financing, and/or social and behavior change space in resource-constrained settings
- Excellent understanding of the processes and goals of applied research and/or implementation science
- Strong understanding of program learning and knowledge utilization throughout the life of research studies, from conceptualization to scale-up; demonstrated understanding of Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation (CLA)
- Excellent leadership and adaptive management skills and ability to build collaborative relationships with a range of partners and stakeholders
- Proven track record of project management, cost containment, and client satisfaction
- Strong time-management, multi- tasking, and organizational skills
- Strong negotiator and collaborator who strengthens business relationships
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects
- Excellent and demonstrated public relations, policy development, project management, and diplomacy skills required
- Ability to build positive local working relationships with local communities, district government officials, international normative bodies in-country (WHO, UN, etc.), and where appropriate, donor representatives
Education: Masters degree related to water, sanitation, and hygiene; public health; international development; management; economics or other relevant social science.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment with frequent travel to field sites.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required (10-25%) and may include travel to fragile and/or conflict-prone zones.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.