Assessment of Existing Sanitation Conditions of Informal Settlements
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT)
ESWATINI WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION ACCESS PROJECT
Assignment Title: Assessment of Existing Sanitation Conditions of Informal Settlements in the Shiselweni Region of Eswatini
Background of the Project
The Government of the Kingdom of Eswatini (GoKE) has received financing from the World Bank for the implementation of the Eswatini Water Supply And Sanitation Access Project (EWSSP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds for the consultancy services for Assessment of Existing Sanitation Conditions of Informal Settlements of Nhlangano and Hlatikhulu in the Shiselweni Region for Component 2 of the project. This activity is under the Ministry of Health (MOH), Environmental Health Department (EHD). The scope of the work includes improving sanitation and hygiene conditions of households and institutions in the project area as well as that for the informal settlements in the Shiselweni region. Little is currently known about the status of sanitation conditions specifically in the informal settlements around the towns of Shiselweni region. Limited information regarding the sustainability of sanitation access and whether people are adequately provided access to safely managed sanitation facilities exists. There is also limited data on the reasons for the high prevalence of open defecation, the use/adequacy of shared sanitation facilities and the reasons for limited hygiene. These findings will inform a concurrent design/supervision and construction consultancy for an implementation plan for universal coverage in the study area.
Objective of the RAP
The objective of this consultancy is to develop a comprehensive baseline assessment of the status of WASH that directly impacts access in informal settlements countrywide and in particular the informal settlements of Hlatikhulu and Nhlangano in the Shiselweni region. The scope of work involves the following:
- Undertaking a sector review (using secondary data collection and analysis and key informant interviews) to assess the current WASH service provision in informal settlements, considering technical, financial, institutional, legal/regulatory and social aspects. This will provide information on the situation nationally, regional and from the targeted informal settlements in the region. See annex 1 for proposed ideas;
- Indicating strategic options for improving WASH (on-site and sewered (if feasible)) services, at the national, regional and in the targeted informal settlements of the region.
- Provide a better understanding of how the WASH situation in the targeted informal settlements is impacting the components of Human Capital.
- Assess different sanitation technologies suitable for informal settlements in the targeted areas.
Consultant Qualification and Experience
The EWSC (Eswatini Water Services Corporation) now invites eligible Individual Consultants (‘’Consultants’’) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The shortlisting criteria are:
- Advanced university degree in engineering and / or architecture.
- Minimum 10 years relevant professional experience on issues related to sustainable development, human development, and WASH.
- Experience in the WASH interventions and intersections with health, nutrition and education highly desired.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 to 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers dated July 2016, revised in November 2017 and August 2018 setting forth the World Bank’s Policy on Conflict of Interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method set out in the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers dated July 2016, revised in November 2017 and August 2018.
Consultants may request for further information and/or clarification regarding this expression of interest through email to on or before 19th November 2020.
Expressions of Interest, clearly labelled: ‘’[Name of Consultant]-EWSSAP RAP Eswatini’’ should be submitted by 25th November 2020 at 12:00hrs local time electronically to the following link:
or emailed to: for files less than 6MB,
or hand delivered in a written form to the address below;
The Managing Director
Eswatini Water Services Corporation Headquarters,
Corner MR 103 and Cultural Village Drive, Ezulwini
Telephone: Tel: +268-2416-9000
Facsimile number: +268-2416-3616