Project Associate (Resource Efficiency; UN Environment)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the general supervision of the Regional Coordinator of Resource Efficiency and Sustainable Consumption and Production sub-programme, or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the regional activities and implementation of the Project Go4SDGS; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments related to resource efficiency, in collaboration with internal and external partners, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing action plans that Governments, private sector and youth and universities networks will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in green economy policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends related to circular economy situation in the region, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies on sustainable lifestyle.
- Undertakes survey initiatives related to resource usage and footprint; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities, especially on food waste and sustainable fashion under the GO4SDgs planned activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Performs other duties as required, related to the resource efficiency portfolio in the region.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in, sustainable development, environmental management/assessment, climate change, resource efficiency, economics, or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Required experience: 36 Months
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in project- and programme management or resources mobilization or other relevant programmes; experience with environmental projects is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in the environment, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Other development programme/project experience
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 23 November 2020