Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering, or in a field related to the job, eight (8) years experience in engineering, six (6) years of work experience must be acquired after licensing as a professional engineer and four (4) years of which were in a supervisory capacity.
- A Masters Degree will substitute for up to one (1) year of work experience.
- PhD degree will substitute for up to two (2) years of work experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Texas.referred Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science degree or higher in Civil or Environmental Engineering
- Proven experience successfully supervising and leading engineering teams or multi-faceted teams performing water and wastewater facility engineering projects
- Experience working with local, state and federal water, wastewater, and reclaimed water utility regulations and industry practices in a large and robust organization
- Strong Water and Wastewater facility engineering, design, construction and operation experience including civil, hydraulics, treatment process, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and SCADA related projects
- Proven project management and contract management experience including risk management and claim resolutions
- Demonstrated experience in schedule and resource planning, budget and quality controls, and process improvements
- Demonstrated financial knowledge to include fiscal planning, budget management and capital improvement projects
- Experience developing strategic direction for a work team performing duties related to this position and successfully managing tactical execution
- Ability to represent the Division and experience interfacing with a variety of stakeholders through technical writing, verbal communication, and formal presentations
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Manages, coordinates, implements, and/or monitors projects/programs including the review of plans and development proposals for impacts related to engineering project/program. Recommends revisions and permit requirements to mitigate negative impacts of development and assures plans conform to City policies. Approves construction plans.
2. Manages contracts by reviewing monthly progress reports. Acts as a liaison among consultants, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, fabricators or suppliers and the City. Negotiates problems of changes, errors or deficiencies and ensures compliance with project specifications and requirements. Resolves conflicts in difficult situations. Reviews, evaluates, and prepares replies to technical and management audits. Responsible for interdivisional liaison for coordinating the various phases of designing, planning and preparation of project details.
3. Interacts with internal and external customers to determine business needs by responding to inquiries from the public and other departments about the process, requirements, and procedures of the development process. Investigates and resolves complaints from the public.
4. Develops and implements standard operating procedures, policies and ordinances by applying advance technical and managerial knowledge and applying changes to meet departmental business goals and objectives. Monitors projects for regulatory compliance.
5. Monitors projects for legal compliance by applying engineering principles, contract and purchasing policies, and affected ordinances, codes, and regulations.
6. Markets programs to various customers.
7. Develops and monitors budgets for multiple CIP projects, programs, and/or divisions Responsible for projects by developing, managing and submission of proposed budget forecast planning for short and long term city planning. Develops long and short term planning/strategies. Coordinates, monitors, and manages grants.
8. Attends meetings and conducts presentations to the City Council, Boards, Commissions, etc. in the area of managing programs/projects. Solicits and assesses third party needs and requests by reviewing and providing solutions.
9. Develops and conducts training by determining business needs and scope of work performed by personnel and implementing programs. Provides technical advice and direction for assigned division, project, or program personnel. Develops design criteria, develops and monitors performance criteria.
Responsibilities– Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of management skills to programs, projects and personnel
• Knowledge of diversified, fundamental scientific and civil engineering concepts, phenomena, and relationships, and utilize such changes in solution of theoretical or practical civil engineering problems
• Knowledge of advanced mathematical techniques such as trigonometry, calculus, and coordinate geometry
• Knowledge of modern methods, materials, and techniques of assigned discipline
• Knowledge of one or more of the following disciplines: Civil, Environmental, Structural, Architectural, Mechanical and/or Electrical engineering terminology and techniques
• Knowledge of City of Austin budget planning, purchasing and contract policies and procedures
• Knowledge of applicability of established engineering principles and methods.
• Knowledge of phases of the plans review and inspections processes.
• Knowledge of preparation of cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports
• Knowledge of regulatory requirements within the local and state ordinances and laws
• Skill in oral and written technical and/or general communication including preparation of written reports
• Skill in negotiations and handling conflict resolution
• Skill in analyzing complex data from various sources, synthesizing collected information, and developing sound decisions/recommendations
• Skill in developing, reviewing, monitoring, and evaluating contracts for services and/or materials
• Ability to manage multiple projects and programs simultaneously within approved budgets
• Ability to understand and interpret engineering and technical data related to assigned responsibilities
• Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with internal and external customers
• Ability to perform more complex engineering computations, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry, rapidly and accurately
• Ability to communicate and provide direction to peers and assigned personnel
• Ability to organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate scientific civil engineering problems and provide practical, cost effective solutions
• Ability to observe, compares, or monitors objects and data to determine compliance with prescribed operating or safety standards