The Moody’s Analytics Climate Research Team is seeking a modeler with expertise in Integrated Assessment Models (IAMs). They will work with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders to support the use of IAMs in Moody’s Analytics’ various product offerings.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about making complex models accessible to financial decision makers and facilitating the integration of climate risk considerations into investment and risk management decisions.
This role is a full-time position. Possible locations include San Francisco, CA, New York, NY, or London, UK. Other US or EU remote locations may also be considered.
· Extract and process IAMs and other models required for climate risk scenario analysis, translate IAM outputs for a wide range of stakeholders
· Identify models’ strengths and limitations and communicate them to both internal and external stakeholders
· Run models, fine tune assumptions and produce output variables following scenario specifications from the market and regulators (e.g. NGFS) for use by financial and economic research teams
· Monitor developments related to the use of IAM into policy and regulatory decision making
· Contribute to white papers and publications from concept to delivery
· Suggest improvements to the tools and techniques to help scale the team
· Translate outcomes into business opportunities
Bachelor’s degree in science, economics, policy or other relevant discipline; Masters or PhD a plus
· 3+ years of direct experience working with leading IAMs (in-depth knowledge of GCAM, REMIND and/or MESSAGEix is an advantage), within a world class research institution
· Experience implementing large scale applied economic models in a production environment, either at sector level or in the general equilibrium framework
· Experience with large-scale data processing (Python or R)
· Experience with programming language required to run open-source IAMs (C++ or equivalent)
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate complex, technical issues to non-expert audiences
· Demonstrated ability to work well in a group setting
· Flexibility to work independently as well as with a team and stakeholders spread over multiple time zones