With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Environmental Defense Fund Europe’s Shipping team seeks a Research Analyst to join our London office to contribute to our work on the decarbonisation of international shipping. This is an interesting and challenging opportunity for a talented individual to engage with innovation and policies aimed at accelerating transition of the shipping sector and deployment of zero-emission technologies. You will be working to directly influence policy developments at UK, EU and international level, making sure the industry becomes a champion in decarbonisation and clean development. As a member of the Global Climate Programme in London, you will engage with policymakers, industries and delegates. You will conduct research and assist with the preparation of proposed policies. You will also participate in meetings and workshops, some of which may be abroad.
- Closely follow and keep up to date with developments in relation to shipping and carbon markets at the UK, EU and international level, and identify opportunities for influence
- Write papers summarising research for a broader audience, along with public communications including presentations, Op-Ed pieces and blog posts
- Perform networking and scoping duties to build and manage relationships with decision-makers in key bodies and agencies as well as with other stakeholders (industries charities, research organisations etc.)
- Assist with advocacy activities at UN, EU and UK level
- Investigates and analyzes current Shipping activities and EU decarbonisation matters involving the use of professional knowledge
- Carry out dedicated research, including qualitative and quantitative analysis, producing internal or external memos, briefings, policy papers and presentations
- Assist with timely in-house analyses for Programme staff, EDF executive team and other programmes throughout the organisation, and help with preparation of funding proposals and presentations
- Help manage our social media accounts and EDF Europe’s website
- Apply excellent organisational, communication and planning skills
- Represent EDF Europe at meetings and conferences when is necessary alone or with a senior staff of the programme
Skills & Experience
- Educated to undergraduate degree level in environmental science, political science, economics, law or related fields and relevant professional experience
- Knowledge of UK and EU legislative processes and experience of policy analysis
- Familiarity with UK and EU climate policies and with recent climate-related developments at UN level
- Prior experience working in environmental policy is desirable – demonstrated commitment to environmental values is essential
- Proven ability in researching new topics and communicate complex ideas
- Proven ability in investigating and analyzing relevant policy areas for the use of professional knowledge
- Demonstrate ability in applying knowledge to help problem sole, requiring independent thinking
- Demonstrate strategic thinking when dealing with complex ideas
- Excellent time management, personal organisation and attention to detail to positively impact the timeliness, accuracy, and completeness of Climate programme goals
- Meets deadlines and carries our responsibilities in a timely and effective manner
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Excellent writing skills and fluency in English
- Ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders of varied levels and experience
- Ability to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritise, and organise diversified workload
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to represent EDF Europe in high level meetings
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.