EnCompass LLC seeks a Senior Communications Specialist for an anticipated 4-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) communication and knowledge management (KM) mechanism relevant to the water/WASH sector and the globalwaters.org website. This anticipated project will provide USAID’s Bureau for Resilience and Food Security (USAID/RFS) with a mechanism to support USAID and its partners to increase water security and sanitation program communication and engagement, knowledge curation and sharing, and website management.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in strategic communications for global development programs, strong understanding of USAID’s approaches to communication and/or KM, and is highly organized, creative, and able to produce and coordinate communications across platforms to a wide array of audiences.
This is a full-time position, based in the Washington, D.C., area.
NOTE: This position is expected to be remote until at least the 1 April 2021, due to COVID-19.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership for the ongoing development and implementation of a comprehensive communications and outreach strategy, including internal and external messaging/outreach, public affairs and event coordination, and product management and development.
- Design, develop, and/or maintain communications products, platforms, and materials that facilitate the awareness, accessibility, and application of knowledge and solutions related to USAID water/WASH priorities.
- In coordination with technical team leads, serve in managing editor role to select and ensure messages, products, and events contribute to USAID’s objectives for knowledge sharing in the global water/WASH community.
- Monitor progress and support the evaluation and assessment of the communications and outreach strategy using USAID Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) processes.
- Ensure content and branding consistency and compliance across events, messages, and products.
- Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content related to the USAID brand, mission, and core values; report on analyses and progress to project leadership.
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events, and providing administrative support to other team members as needed.
- Other duties, as required/appropriate.
- For the mid-level specialist: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in strategic communications, development communication, journalism, or a related field with 5-7 years of relevant experience. Master’s preferred.
- For the senior specialist: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in strategic communications, development communication, journalism, or a related field with 7–10 years of relevant experience. Master’s preferred.
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: digital and print media, social media and collaboration platforms, public relations, marketing, graphic design, and/or stakeholder engagement. Event planning experience is preferrable.
- Superior writing and synthesis skills; ability to convert technically complex concepts into plain language and able to communicate to a variety of audiences with a high degree of cultural sensitivity.
- Experience collaborating effectively with writers, editors, visual designers, data visualization specialists, KM specialists, and technical subject-matter experts across sectors and geographies.
- Project management experience with at least 3-5 years in the management of large communication and/or KM projects.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of USAID branding and marking and other communications-related policies and procedures required.
- Experience building USAID project teams’ strategic communications/outreach capacity and/or experience facilitating related training learning/knowledge-sharing events (online and/or in person) for development professionals preferred.
- Excellent critical thinking, decision-making, and English writing and speaking skills required. Proficiency in a second language (e.g., Arabic, French, Spanish, or Portuguese) desired.
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter at https://encompassworld.com/careers-and-consulting/.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.