Deputy Chief of Party, Global Waters Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) II
EnCompass LLC seeks a Deputy Chief of Party to provide for an anticipated 4-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) communication and knowledge management (KM) mechanism relevant to the water/WASH sector and the globalwaters.org website. This anticipated project will provide USAID’s Bureau for Resilience and Food Security (USAID/RFS) with a mechanism to support USAID and its partners to increase water security and sanitation program communication and engagement, knowledge curation and sharing, and website management.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in team leadership for demand-driven strategic programming and knowledge sharing in global development, and is highly organized, detail-oriented, and proactive.
This is a full-time position, based in the Washington, D.C., area.
NOTE: This position is expected to be remote until at least the 1 April 2021, due to COVID-19.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide project management and operational leadership and oversight for a diverse team of technical subject-matter experts and communications/KM professionals; responsible for the day-to-day management the project, in compliance with EnCompass and U.S. Government (USG) policies and procedures.
- Support the development and implementation of an overall vision and leadership for the project and the project team, in coordination with counterparts in USAID/RFS and other stakeholders.
- Support the chief of party with technical and management responsibility for all project personnel, with direct line management of senior technical leads, and ensures their professional development. Oversee all sub-agreements and coordinate partner and consultant efforts in program implementation.
- Serve as acting chief of party if/as needed.
- Provide subject-matter expertise/technical direction in area(s) of expertise related to the project (water/WASH, KM, MEL, and/or strategic communications).
- Lead development of and monitor the efficient and effective implementation of work plans and budgets; and ensure appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations.
- Lead the response to the specified deliverables, goals of contracts and subcontracts/grant agreements, ensuring timely achievement in full compliance with contractual requirements.
- With senior technical leads and/or communications team members, serves as managing editor for content on the GlobalWaters website; directing/overseeing drafting and editing of all project communications and KM outputs and internal project reports and other documents, as required.
- With other project leaders, conceptualizes, convenes, and facilitates high-level convenings with the project’s diverse stakeholders.
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events, and providing administrative support to other team members as needed
- Other duties, as required/appropriate.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in strategic communications, knowledge management, journalism, or a related field. A bachelor’s degree and three years of experience can be used in lieu of a Master’s degree.
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex technical concepts into plain language and visually compelling messages; able to communicate with a variety of audiences with a high degree of cultural humility.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in strategic communications, KM, and/or an understanding of the water/WASH sector and USAID’s needs to information related to water sector programming. Background in the use of data for decision making, data visualization, and data analytics is a plus.
- Senior project management experience with at least 7-10 years in the implementation and management of large communication and KM projects.
- Experience building the capacity of USAID projects and stakeholders on how to communicate and report on their progress and successes is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID policies, Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) management tools, procedures and approaches related to program design/implementation, budgeting, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent critical thinking, decision-making, and English writing and speaking skills required. Proficiency in a second language (e.g., Arabic, French, Spanish, or Portuguese) desired.
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter at https://encompassworld.com/careers-and-consulting/.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.