Water Resources Engineer
RTI International’s Center for Water Resources, which provides hydrologic and hydraulic modeling services, decision support applications development, data management and analysis system design, and environmental engineering support to government agencies, private companies, and international clients, has an immediate opportunity for a Water Resources Engineer with a technical modeling focus. RTI executes many dam risk, water supply, and water forecast system related projects in the US, as well as international development projects, particularly in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Candidates should have a desire to grow into a project management role and have good interpersonal skills, while maintaining an interest in implementing complex hydrologic and hydraulic models. Desired experience includes:
• Leadership in model development and producing high quality models. Troubleshooting and developing solutions given data limitations and complex modeling scenarios that may involve interaction between hydrologic, hydraulic and reservoir models.
• Development and calibration of local and regional hydrologic and hydraulic models with ability to properly place hydraulic model geometry components in complex terrain
• Understanding of flood routing dynamics for large flood events and dam breach scenarios including dynamic reservoir routing
• Reservoir modeling including developing operational rules and outlet rating curves for large dams
• Experience with the application of HEC-RAS 2D or other two-dimensional hydraulic models in urban environments.
• Developing large scale consequences models using HEC-LifeSim.
Candidates with interest, relevant experience, and foreign language skills are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will work leading and assisting RTI project teams. Responsibilities will include the following:
• Implementing hydrologic, hydraulic, reservoir operations, watershed, and consequences models
• Internal review of models and technical reports
• Mentoring and training junior staff members
• Writing technical procedure documents and project reports
• Project management
• MS Degree in Civil Engineering with emphasis in Water Resources
• Minimum of 2-5 years of related experience
• Comprehensive understanding of hydrology and hydraulics in large riverine systems controlled under multiple, competing objectives
• Experience developing and applying hydraulic models in a variety of conditions and complexities
• Proven record of supporting client objectives and working efficiently
• Excellent interpersonal skills
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Experience developing and applying hydrologic, reservoir, and watershed models (e.g. HEC-HMS, HEC-LifeSim, RiverWare, or similar)
• Experience with decision support system frameworks and model user interfaces (HEC-CWMS, HEC-WAT, Delft-FEWS, or similar)
• Programming experience to support GIS and modeling initiatives is a plus