Australia nationals: Assistant Director Surface Water
The Basin Plan Regulation Portfolio is seeking an EL1 Assistant Director Surface Water for an ongoing opportunity.
The Basin Plan Regulation Portfolio undertakes a variety of regulatory functions, which range from the assessment of water resource plans to management of the accounts that keeps track of how much water is taken each year from the Basin's rivers, valleys and groundwater systems. The Basin Plan Regulation Portfolio is also the home of the Office of Compliance and the Aboriginal Partnerships program.
The Sustainable Diversion Limit (SDL) Accounting Program keeps track of how much surface and ground water is being used from the Basin each year, and whether this usage is compliant with the sustainable diversion limits set out in the Basin Plan. It also tracks how much water has been acquired for the environment, and how much of this is used each year. The program undertakes analysis and technical studies in relation to the use of surface and ground water to inform advice, strategy and policy development under the Basin Plan.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced person to play a key role to ensure the effective implementation of the Sustainable Diversion Limits – a fundamental component of the Basin Plan. The successful applicant will be required to work with Basin states, identify and resolve technical issues, provide strategic advice and undertake and communicate the results of complex data analysis.
The key duties, skills and attributes for this role are to:
• Undertake analysis and research on various policy and complex technical issues associated with implementing the Basin Plan sustainable diversion limits and provide strategic advice and recommendations.
• Work collaboratively across Commonwealth and State agencies to resolve technical issues and develop and implement policy that ensures a coordinated approach across governments.
• Undertake water data analysis, quality assurance and develop written content for annual SDL compliance assessment and water take report.
• Support assessment and accreditation of technical components of Basin state water resource plans.
• Provide leadership and guidance to staff, overcome conflict and seek resolutions with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
• Have sound judgement and pay attention to detail.
For more information regarding this opportunity please contact Julianne Tanner (Email: or Phone: 02 6279 0132).