Are you passionate about supporting the origination, structuring, negotiation, approval and closing of investment transactions in the Latin American region to have a positive impact in the lives of millions? If so, we may be looking for you!
The Investment Operations Department is responsible for generating a portfolio of high quality, creditworthy, and environmentally and socially sound projects that result in significant development impact. The business cycle goes from the identification, selection, origination and execution of transactions to their monitoring. The Department follows a matrix model, with three segment divisions covering Infrastructure and Energy, Financial Institutions and Corporates, and three transversal divisions covering Financial Products and Services, Advisory Services and Portfolio Management. In addition, there are two Teams in staff of the Chief Investment Officer, responsible for: (i) Marketing and (ii) Business Strategy, Planning and Resources respectively.
The Infrastructure and Energy Division (IEN) is organized in three geographic teams covering (i) Andean countries, (ii) Southern Cone countries, and (iii) Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean countries. Within each of those teams, Investment Officers (“IOs”) cover four main sectors: Energy, Social Infrastructure (Education & Health), Transport, Water and Sanitation. Our Division maintains, as deemed necessary, the responsibilities for customer relationships and product specialist’s engagement in areas such as debt capital markets, equity and quasi-equity instruments, as well as resource mobilization and technical cooperation.
You will focus on providing technical, analytical and administrative support to Project Team Leaders, Social Infrastructure Sector Expert and/or Water & Sanitation Sector Expert in relation to the following activities:
- Identify, select, originate and execute transactions with companies that are consistent with IDB Invest’s operating policies. Origination efforts will be focused, but not limited to Water & Sanitation and Social Infrastructure sectors.
- Evaluate both lending and non-lending projects, including, but not limited to, the initial screening of project applications, evaluation of feasibility studies, and preparation of concept notes, assessing project risks and advising on appropriate risk mitigation actions.
- Conduct appraisal meetings to gather the necessary technical, legal, economic and financial information to assess the merits of potential investment opportunities as required.
- Undertake Water and Sanitation and Social Infrastructure (health and education) industry and market research to support the business origination and execution efforts aligned with the investment strategy of IDB Invest.
- Prepare and review financial projection models using excel spreadsheet software, including the collection of inputs and assumptions, to analyze borrower capacity to repay under a variety of scenarios.
- Maintain knowledge of industry, especially Water and Sanitation and Social Infrastructure (health and education) and of transactions including the preparation of lessons learned from projects.
- Participate in due diligence missions to gather necessary technical, legal, economic, financial information, as assigned, to assess the merits of potential lending or equity investment projects.
- Support activities in borrowing countries and contributing to new product development as required.
Citizenship: You are either a citizen of either Brazil or Chile, or a resident with legal permit to work in Brazil or Chile.
Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Education: You hold an advanced degree (Master’s or MBA) in Finance, Business Administration, Engineering, International Development or relevant field.
Experience: You have three (3) years of relevant employment experience in in corporate and project financing with a proven track-record working with both equity and debt in an investment bank, commercial bank or developmental bank is desirable. Experience in the infrastructure sector is highly valued, particularly in health, education, water and sanitation sectors. Experience with regulated utilities, concession agreements and other public-private partnership schemes, as well as relevant experience in infrastructure transactions in Latin America and the Caribbean is desirable. Very strong financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills will be considered a plus.
For Chile: You are proficient in oral and written proficiency in English and Spanish; knowledge of Portuguese and/or French is a plus.
For Brazil: You are proficient in oral and written proficiency in English and Portuguese; knowledge of Spanish and/or French is a plus.
- Type of contract: Consultant
- Length of contract: 36 months
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Location: Brazil or Chile
- Responsible person: Head of CSC Region, Infrastructure & Energy Division
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of private investment development fields, including infrastructure and energy, corporates, financial institutions, financial and non-financial products and services, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, afro-descendants, and indigenous people to apply.
About us: IDB Invest, a member of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Group, is a multilateral organization, committed to the development of the private sector of Latin America and the Caribbean by financing loans, equity investments, and guarantees. In addition, IDB Invest partners with clients to provide advisory and training services.
The IDB Invest offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
Our Human Resources Department carefully reviews all applications.
“Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.”