→ Apply before 15/11/2020 23:59 (Brussels Time)
→ Department: BW26 - Data-analyse en wiskundige modellering
→ Occupancy rate: 100%
→ Number of positions: 1.00
→ Type of employment: Contract of limited duration
→ Term of assignment: 2 years
→ Wage scale: PD1 to PD4 (doctoral degree)
→ Required diploma: PhD
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
PROJECT ORGANIZATION, ON-SITE EXPERIMENTATION AND SUPERVISION
- You supervise and support a PhD student working on the project using modelling skills
- You organize the setup and logistics of pilots on industrial sites
- You operate pilots on site at different locations, write down experimental data in an organized and structured way
- You perform on-site experiments using different water treatment technologies – RO, UF, IEX, GAC, MD, ED, AOP, Electrocoagulation and others
- Perform experimental planning and adjust it according to the current results
- During the pilot operation you restock the chemicals and replace ion exchange resins and activated carbon, which involves heavy lifting
- You service equipment on site (replacing, cleaning and calibrating sensors, fixing leakages and blockages, replacing filters, etc.)
- You manage subcontractors for equipment maintenance and installation
- You organize repairs with subcontractors and site operators
- You supervise the backup operators
- You organize safe working environment and actively prevent safety and environmental hazards
- You organize on-site logistics such as deliveries of materials and chemicals, transportation of equipment, etc.
- You perform data analysis and write reports, articles and give presentations
- You organize meetings and communicate with project partners
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a Master’s degree and a PhD related to water treatment
- You have prior experience in industrial environment
- You have experience in mathematical modelling using Python/Matlab/Julia and supervision of students on modelling related topics
- Safety course certificates (e.g. VCA certificate) are a plus
- Knowledge related to equipment operation and automation is a plus
- You have knowledge related to membranes, ion exchange, advanced oxidation processes
- You have a track record of performing high quality experiments
- You have experience in analyzing experimental data
- You have knowledge in membranes and heat mass transfer problems
- You are a quick learner
- You can independently conduct high quality research
- You are fluent in English, both speaking and writing. Knowledge of Dutch or German is a plus
- You work in a safe manner in regarding yourself, your colleagues, the equipment and the environment
- You have a driver’s license and are willing to travel on a regular basis to Antwerp (BE) and Terneuzen (NL)
- You are motivated and dedicated
- You are a team player
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a contract of definite duration from 1/12/2020 to 30/11/2022.
- Your contract will start on 1/12/2020 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale WM1 to WM4 (if you hold a Master’s degree) or salary scale PD1 to PD4 (if you hold a doctorate). Click here for more information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, bicycle allowance and eco vouchers. Click here for a complete overview of all the staff benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV’: your CV and an overview of your publications and your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format (describe your values and provide examples relevant to the job description)
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field “other documents”: a reference letter, an overview of your study results, …
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Ingmar Nopens (Ingmar.Nopens@UGent.be). Important: do NOT send your application by email, but apply online.