Water and Sanitation Technician (UNMISS)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of and liaising frequently with the Field Engineer of the Field Office and/or in close coordination with the Mission Headquarter Water and Sanitation Unit; the UNV Water and Sanitation Technician is required to function within the framework of water and sanitation works in the mission for South Sudan, and will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Installing, operating and maintaining, servicing and repairing water supply systems, water treatment plants, water storage facilities, sewerage network, sewerage treatment plants, pumps, control panels of all plants/pumps and other allied equipment of new construction projects within a sector of the Mission area;
- Managing the daily tasks of plumbers and other staff working in the unit;
- Performing surveys and preparing technical reports, drawings and material quantities;
- Contributing to the planning of effective and efficient water and waterwater treatment facilities in the field office;
- Ensuring that the installation of new systems and maintenance of existing systems meet the safety and environmental standards in accordance with international codes and regulations;
- Providing lists of spare parts for water supply and sewerage works control panels as well as necessary tools and equipment, well in advance;
- Estimating material requirements and tools or equipment needed to perform the job;
- Detecting possible defects in plumbing and mechanical systems;
- Carrying out scheduled periodic and emergency maintenance services on all installations and equipment;
- Reporting on the proper delivery of related services to the Supervisor, Water and Sanitation Unit;
- Receiving and acting on Engineering Work Order Requests (EWRs);
- Designing simple water and sanitation installations and providing the necessary diagrams for laying water supply and sewerage pipe lines installations and maintenance work;
- Conducting regular physical, chemical and bacteriological water quality tests to comply with WHO Guidelines;
- Building capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training of national staff and counterparts;
- Performing any other related water and sanitation duties as needed or assigned.
Required degree level: Technical/Vocational diploma
Education - Additional Comments:
Water supply and sewage systems and maintenance.
Required experience: 36 Months
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience as water and sanitation technician in the construction industry;
- Experience in the use of plumbing mechanical equipment, including pumps and tools; experience in tracing and repairing system faults; ability to read blue prints and sketches.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Water, sanitation and environmental engineering
Area of expertise details:
Computer skills: Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office application (excel, word, power point) and other IT applications and office technology equipment;
Other skills: Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System; Sound security awareness.
Driving license: Yes
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 15-11-2020