Local recruitment: Senior Environment Specialist
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy (ENB) Global Practice has five key business lines consisting of Lending and non-lending services in (1) Forests, Watersheds and Sustainable Landscapes (‘Green Business line’); (2) Marine, Coastal, Aquatic Resources and Ocean Health (‘Blue Economy Business line’); (3) Pollution Management and Environmental Health (‘Pollution Management Business line’); (4) Environmental Economics, Policies and Institutions Business line, and (5) Safeguards/ Environmental Risk Management Business line: delivery of effective environmental risk management and sustainability by managing risk at the project level and creating opportunities to advance sustainable development. This includes provision of high-quality and timely safeguards services across the Bank, including current safeguards policies and the effective implementation of the new Environment and Social Framework (ESF) that was rolled out on October 1, 2018
The ENB Global Practice in Sub Saharan Africa includes four units SAWE1, SAEE2, SAEE3 and SAWE4. SAEE3 covers East and Southern Africa including the Indian Ocean islands; and manages operations in a variety of areas such as natural resources management, coastal zone management, forestry, pollution, climate change, landscape and terrestrial and marine natural resources. In addition, the unit, like other ENR GP units provides environmental safeguards and ESF services across all sectors and projects.
The World Bank has been providing financial and technical support to Mozambique in the area of Natural Resources Management, including forestry, biodiversity, fisheries and more recently climate change. The WB portfolio in this area is rapidly evolving and comprises a series of investment, technical assistance and analytical work operations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Environment Specialist (ETC) will be based in Maputo, Mozambique and will be supporting a broad and evolving portfolio of lending and policy dialogue on Biodiversity, Climate Change, Forestry, and Landscapes. Under this portfolio, for FY 21, a new operation under the Prevention and Resilience Allocation (PRA) will be developed for sustainable livelihoods and resources management in conflict affected regions of Northern Mozambique, as well as an integrated landscape and Sustainable Rural Economy Program (SREP). The ETC will also support the preparation of these two operations.
He/she will have the following main duties and responsibilities:
· Support the implementation, in collaboration with Task Teams, of investment projects in Mozambique’s Environment and NRM portfolio.
· Provide strategic advice to team leaders of projects that include ENB activities, with emphasis on issues related to biodiversity, protected area management, rural livelihood creation, promotion of non-timber forest products (NTFP), land degradation and restoration, sustainable tourism, forest management, community strengthening in natural resource management, gender balance in natural resource management.
· Identify and participate in knowledge exchange opportunities focusing on above mentioned issues between Mozambique and other countries.
· Advice and/or assist the teams working in the landscape portfolio in Mozambique to maximize the value of landscapes/forests, biodiversity, and natural resources.
· Review and provide advice for operational and analytical work on forests, climate and NRM and the links to poverty reduction and development in Mozambique
· Contribute to ENB and corporate tasks related to forests, REDD+, Climate Change, Biodiversity and Nature-based tourism.
· Participate actively in project implementation support mission, contribute to mission aide-memoires, ISRs and ensuring timely execution of mission’ action plans.
· Contribute to NRM portfolio related business and pipeline development (e.g. policy lending, program for results, etc.), as well as donor dialogue, private sector engagement and identification of additional funding opportunities.
· Promote, through ongoing and future portfolio, community-based approaches and planning processes.
· Explore and promote approaches to promote equitable, productive and sustainable natural resource management outcomes in conflict sensitive and affected areas
· Proactively participate in other key GP dialogues (agriculture, urban, water, EFI etc.,) and promote ENB collaboration in such dialogues.
· Share technical knowledge with clients and partners on different environment and NRM topics (forestry, agroforestry, biodiversity, protected areas etc.,).
· Build relationships and facilitate effective communication with other development partners, NGOs, the private sector, and other stakeholders.
· Support, in coordination with the ENB coordinator, the CMU in particular and the unit in general in NRM country dialogue and corporate commitments. This includes participating in developing and implementing sector strategy and assist in country-specific policy work (CEA, SCD, CPF, etc.).
In coordination with ENB coordinator, participate in discussions with governments, donors and other stakeholders on Landscapes/Forests, Climate Change and NRM
* A Master’s degree or above in environment and/or natural resource management, environmental policy, forestry, agronomy, development studies, aquaculture, economics, environmental engineering or geography, or similar relevant disciplines.
* Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the environment and natural resources management sector, including proven experience in integrated landscapes, environment, Conservation, forestry, community-based development, biodiversity and rural development.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Portuguese
* Familiarity with the World Bank Group’s organizational structure, processes, guidelines and procedures will be highly desirable.
* Strong client orientation with the ability to build an understanding with implementing agency counterparts on the value-added of Bank products
* Good team player who can work as a member of multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, ability to function independently, with a degree of motivation, flexibility and reliability.
* A drive for results while working with limited supervision and under tight timelines;
* Understanding of the programmatic approach to forests, climate change and natural resources management (in the context of multi-sectoral approaches and the national development plan and using various sources of financing.
WBG Core Competencies
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena - Understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients.
- Policy Dialogue Skills - Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders.
- Integrative Skills - Working to develop an integrated view across all facets of current sector.
- Environmental Policy, Strategy and Institutions - Familiarity with environmental policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
- Environmental Sciences - Depth in at least one area: water; ecosystems; forests; conservation; agriculture concerns, etc.
- Lead and Innovate - Develops innovative solutions.
- Deliver Results for Clients - Proactively addresses clients stated and unstated needs.
- Collaborate within Teams and Across Boundaries - Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge - Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
- Make Smart Decisions - Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward
For more information about WBG Core Competencies, please visit: https://bit.ly/2kbIA7O.