Research Fellow (Climate, Sustainability and Inequality)
SEI HQ in Stockholm is recruiting a highly motivated mid-level researcher (Research Fellow) with a strong academic profile and with theoretical and empirical research experience on the intersection between climate change, inequality and sustainable development.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Deadline: 18 November 2020, 23:59 CET
SEI is recruiting a highly motivated mid-level researcher (Research Fellow) with a strong academic profile and with theoretical and empirical research experience on the intersection between climate change, inequality and sustainable development. The successful candidate will be based in Stockholm and contribute to SEI’s program on policy coherence in the implementation of the Paris Agreement and the 2030 Agenda.
The successful candidate will contribute to theoretical and empirical work on key goal conflicts and/or synergies between climate change (SDG 13) and inequality (SDG 10); especially focusing on how different ideologies, vested interests or institutional factors influence policy coherence outcomes.
The successful candidate should also have good knowledge of policy processes in international development, including topics such as inequality, poverty alleviation, climate change and/or sustainable development.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Head of the Climate, Energy and Society Unit, and work directly with project managers for specific research activities.
Key duties and responsibilities include
- Conceptual and empirical research, using mixed methods approaches, on synergies and conflicts between climate change and the 2030 Agenda, particularly focusing on inequality as a policy outcome
- Support stakeholder engagement and co-development processes, including organizing workshops and dialogues for data gathering and research dissemination
- Lead and participate in research publications, international workshops and other outreach activities
- Champion new approaches – both internally within SEI and externally with our boundary partners – to more robustly consider how poverty and inequality affect policy outcomes at all levels
- Contribute to writing new research proposals
- Help to communicate insights from SEI’s work to a range of audiences, with support from SEI’s communications team
Who you are
Mid-level researcher (Research Fellow position) with a strong academic profile looking to advance theory in the field of policy coherence and/or policy coordination or implementation, with policy-relevant experience in the fields of climate change, inequality and sustainable development. We are looking for a person with an advanced university degree (PhD or minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience) in political science, international development, sociology, economics or a related field.
Required qualifications and experience
- PhD or equivalent experience in a related field (political science, economics, sociology, sustainability studies)
- Significant experience working on issues of policy coherence or policy coordination, including theorizing different explanatory factors and variables influencing policy coherence outcomes
- Policy-relevant experience in International development, working on topics such as inequality and poverty alleviation
- Comfortable undertaking interdisciplinary research and analysis using mixed methods (quant/qual)
- Fluent in English
Desirable skills and experience
- Quantitative and statistical analysis experience
- Participatory research methods and co-production of knowledge
- Other languages a plus
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 18 November, 23:59 CET.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter (maximum 1 page).
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae
Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to Adis Dzebo (email@example.com). Inquiries concerning the recruitment process can be directed to My Persson, Recruitment and Competence Specialist ( ).