Senior Water Resources Assessments and Agricultural Water Use Specialists
The Land and Water Division (NSL) aims at enhancing agricultural productivity and advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through improved management, development and conservation of natural resources. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future needs for agricultural products, and ensuring the long-term sustainability of these resources in both quantity and quality terms. It promotes the equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, supporting livelihoods and resilience, and providing ecosystem services. The Division provides assistance to member countries in developing policies, programmes, best practices and tools in the fields of irrigation and drainage, soil and water conservation, drought mitigation, flood prevention, water governance, natural resource access, and supports the overall achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Consultant reports to the Director and/or Deputy Director of the Land and Water Division.
Support for the planning, development, monitoring of policies related to the assessment and use of water resources in agriculture with FAO development partners, including coordination and operational assistance.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Consultant will:
- Participate in the development and monitoring of assigned programmes and projects, and provide technical support in the field of policy development related to water resources assessments and agricultural water use, identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions, liaises with relevant parties, identifies and tracks follow-up actions;
- Prepare, review and monitor the preparation of relevant project documents, substantial sections of technical reports, studies, and inputs to publications;
- Contribute in the development and implementation of analytical tools, background papers, analysis, or concept notes;
- Assist in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, development partners’ requirements and draft proposals;
- Undertake field missions as and when required;
- Perform any other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Water Resources Assessment and/or Management, Agricultural Sciences, (Agro)Hydrology or closely related field;
- Fifteen years of relevant experience in Water Resources Assessment and Management related to Agriculture, with proven record of organizing and managing programmes and projects;
- Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work.
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in results monitoring and reporting.
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project monitoring and administrative support.
- Extent and relevance of experience in multilateral and international agencies.
- Familiarity with UN system, procedures and operational activities.